custom background stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jan 21, 2011.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got this idea for a background stand, somewhat like what Ruth Bernhard had in her studio, that would enable curtains to be hung as a backdrop in a semicircle. Anyone have any ideas how to make a curtain rod that would yield a 10-12' diameter semicircle? I'm thinking of getting electrical conduit pipe and bending it, but I'm not sure how that would work. All thoughts are appreciated!

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the suggestion, but they're too short. I need something about twice that size to make a hemi-circle.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rather than a one piece rod, make it from straight conduit with angled fittings like 22 1/2 degree. It could be a hexagon, octagon or any other gon you want. Any corners would not be very noticeable. Could do the same thing with 1/2" pvc pipe. 3' sections of pipe would give about an 8' diameter, 4' ~ 11'. Cheap too.
    Couple of bucks for 12' pipe3-4 22 1/2 degree fittings. Shouldn't break a ten dollar bill. If you need a circle it might get close to a twenty though.

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  6. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Barry- I think that's just the ticket for what I want to do. Either that or John's solution with the angled fittings and PVC pipe.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used 3/8" solid curtain rod to make a smaller curved backdrop support in an alcove. The rod can easily be bent by hand.

8. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A conduit bender will set you back about $30-40 depending on the size. But you will gain control of your angles and achieve a 'professional look'

Mike