cutting 8-ply mats

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by wildbill, Sep 25, 2005.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the Logan compact matcutter with the model 302 bevel cutter and i'm wondering if it will handle 8-ply board. I'm asking because i can't find it in LA and i'll have to order some. I don't want to make the investment if i can't cut it myself. Anyone tried it?

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    mine wont

lee\c

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it because the blade doesn't come out far enough, or are they not sharp enough? I think i could make the hole in the blade longer so that it could be slid down to reach through the thicker material.

4. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Logan matt cutter won't go through the 8-ply. Also, for 8-ply, you should get a cutter that cuts the board by multiple strokes/travels, not by one straight cut, which works well for thinner ones but not for thick ones. I strongly recommend to get an Olfa matt cutter, whose details I posted on photo.net. It'll only cost you $20 but gives you better results.

5. Pastiche

Pastiche Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to say it.. but if you are ready to lay down the $$$ for 8 ply, it's probably worth invensint 3-500 $$ in a professional matt cutter... I think it would be the only way to ensure that you arent spending top $$ on matts, then turning around and giving them less than the perfect cuts those call for... THAT would devalue your product...

6. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My fletcher mat cutter will cut 8ply boards, but it is also a professional model... Click Here

I'd have to agree that going to 8ply may very well dictate using the proper equipment to handle it.

joe

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    8 ply is hard enough, but if it's 8 ply rag, it's even harder. I've taken my 8 ply rag board to proshops with very expensive automated cutter that cut in multiple passes and they still can't cut the 8 ply.

I have a logan 650 ( I think ) and with most careful cutting, I can do 8 ply, but I still have issues from time to time.

8 ply, is just difficult.

Best of luck,

9. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would not go near 8 ply rag with hand cutters. I have not heard of anyone who can do a truly professional job with anything other than a computer controlled auto gizmo...and that is after time spent setting up etc.

I have a Keencut ultimat and the blade would not protrude far enough for such board . In any case there would be a lot of bend in the blade and the quality of the cut would be dire. I cannot stand poorly cut mounts and cutting 4 ply to the highest standards requires care, even with good kit.

10. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a C&H mat cutter and have no problem cutting 8 ply in one pass.

11. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Why are you using 8ply board? Are you doing very large prints? (22x28 or larger).

Personally, I dont think 8ply mat is needed, unless you feel your work is not that good and you need to go overkill with matting/framing.

8ply board is very expensive, hard to store (takes up twice the amount of space and weight) and is VERY difficult to cut with a low quality cutter.

I use a higher end Logan cutter (BRAND NEW!) and to cut 8ply mat, you have to pass over at least 5 times. After doing that, your window is not very clean anymore.

I suggest staying with 4ply board. If you can afford to use 8ply, then just have a framer cut it for you.

12. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Logan 665 will cut 8 ply, you just have to go slow and make sure the blade is lightly scoring the support mat. It is what I use for museum shows and it looks great! I have an upcoming show at the museum of art in my home town and for this I use the 2 ply for mounting and the 8 ply for the mat.

Setting your work apart and mounting it and matting it professionally does not mean your work is weak.

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    8-ply is becoming more the mode in high-end galleries in New York, and it looks good if it's done neatly. I don't use it myself, but at the same time, I don't see it as dressing up work that is otherwise weak.

14. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    8 ply matts are very elegant and to think they are only needed to improve weak work is a strange comment.

the price one wants to pay for to present their work is their business.
    The question was how to cut them, not should i use them.

We have been using them for years with great success, and frankly it is worth the cost.

15. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Ann,

How are you cutting your 8 ply boards?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

16. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    don,

I have them cut at the company noted below.

We buy in large amounts when ever possible as the price drops, especially after 25 of a size.

They have been very good to deal with and will continue to do business with them
    let me know if you would like some , if you are using standard sizes, bottom weighted you can add them to my order. We could combine and the price will drop drastically.

For my personal work, i have them cut at lightimpressions.

We tried cutting some 8ply board just for fun, and it just isn't worth the problems.

http://www.redimat.com/museum_8_ply.html

17. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ann--How about letting us know what sizes you're ordering before you put in the order, and seeing if some of us might want to tag along. If we all get a better price that way, it sounds like a win-win situation.

18. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    David,

these are the sizes i keep on hand for my students.
    16x20 matts with windows both landscape and portrait for 8x10 prints; which are really a bit smaller with the 1/4 inch wide border from the easel. and 6x9 windows , both landscape and portrait. All are bottom weighted.

Rather than using the standard window for 8x10 and 6x9, i have them cut just a bit smaller so the students have a bit more wiggle room.

I will not be ordering any until next year,(which is almost here) but will get back to you David, sometime in Jan.

without double checking when orderning more than 24 of one size the price is about 7.20 , this does not include the back board nor of course the s&h, which has always been reasonable.

19. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, Ann. Maybe post a general announcement, and I bet you'll have a few other takers.

20. Shane Knight

Shane Knight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use to cut 8 ply mat boards with two logan cutting heads along with the logan straight edge. On the bottom of the cutting head you will find a blade depth screw. The first head should be set for 4 ply and the second at 8ply.

After the the measurements have been marked. I score lightly with the 4 ply head once and then again all the way down.

I then use the 8ply head and score lightly and then all the way down.

I was usually cutting rag mats and I would switch both blades after each cut which would be a total of 8 blades.

Blades are cheap and 8 ply rag mats are very expensive, so I find that the cost of 8 blades to do a clean job is cheap.

Just plan on sacrificing at least two boards for the learning curve, but once you have it down, it's pretty simple.

Art work that has been matted with 8ply board looks very elegant and I highly recommend it.

Good luck,
    Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com