cyanotype Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by sly, Dec 3, 2012.

1. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got the production line going today, made 22 cards. Another batch tomorrow.....

cyanoXmas.jpg

Anyone else use their photography for gifts and cards?

2. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done! I do a large print run every year as gifts for the theatre company I work with. I can imagine the challenge of doing a run of "identical" cyanotypes. I thought I would lose my mind the year that I chose to do 40+ caffenol prints.

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great work Sly!

I have wanted to do something similar myself but I never seem to be able to get around to it in time. What I really need to do is start shooting 4x5 so I have some nice larger negs to play with. Maybe a goal for next year!

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice! What paper do you use?

5. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Brilliant! When one does Holiday cards nothing better than handmade ones that are made with an alternate process. You have beautiful winter scenes...very special.

6. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toffle, I picked 4 snowy negs, so am printed batches of 4 at a time. Too bad they were shot different times, on different films, so the exposure time is quite a range.
    Jason - I'm printing on Lanaquarelle hot press. (Had a terrible time when I tried to print on their cold press.)

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having seen some of Lillian's other wonderful Alternative Process work, including some cyanotypes (IIRC), I can confidently observe that there are 22 really fortunate people out there.

In my case this year I ran out of time.

We send photo Christmas cards. Some years, each one has a handmade darkroom print. This year though it is a snow scene in colour. Shot on Ektachrome, but commercil lab printed, using that evil intermediate process, and Kodak Endura paper.

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The recipients will be lucky to get them. I know they won't end up in the recycle bin. This reminds me of Elvis' "Blue Christmas". Good job!

9. mark

mark Member

I am always impressed when I see stuff like this. Something I have wanted to do, but time gets in the way. Those look real good.

10. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Four years I've created cards. 1st year I did cyanotypes from 8X10 negatives. That was alot of work.
    Since then I've only scanned platinum prints, and had them printed on card stock. I select images of churches that family/friends are familiar with. For example, the stone Mendon Church in Michigan was a big hit since some of my wife's relatives involved in its construction/usage.

11. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well maybe not. Someone who saw my production line today, commented "I've seen pictures like that on Instagram."

Sigh....

12. mark

mark Member

Did you smack them on the back of the head? People who do that deserve the smack.

13. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No need to sigh

Don't cast your pearls to the swine. Only connoisseurs will treasure them.

14. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, no. She's a client for my keep-a-roof-over-our-heads job. A lovely person who will be a joy to work with. I'll just see if i can sneak a little photo education in around the corners.

15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually ...... (as my niece was want to say when she was 6)

Until I discovered APUG and other internet resources, I had very little exposure to most of the historical processes. I have no problem with Instagram emulating cyanotypes - I just wish it gave credit for where the ideas for most of the "filters" originated.

16. m1tch

m1tch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats awesome :D I was thinking of doing some nice cyanotype prints and frame them for small gifts but Christmas cards are such a cool idea, it also works well due to blue being a 'cooler' colour which would work well with a winter photo.