Cyanotype discoloration on sensitized paper?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dante Stella, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Dante Stella

Dante Stella Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a little puzzled - with the regular cyanotype process, I am getting green streaks on sensitized (but not exposed) paper when it dries. The only way to avoid this seems to be to force-dry the paper and to expose it quickly (i.e., within about half an hour).

Ideas? The only thing I can think of its that it may be streaking of too much sensitizer, although this is a low-penetration paper (Arches Plaine) and there is no visible unevenness in wetness when the paper is put out to dry.

Thanks
    Dante

2. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it's slightly shiny and tacky it's too much sensitiser, otherwise your paper is probably too buffered/alkaline and might need a soak in a weak acid bath and dried before you coat.

3. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Heather wrote this happen with too buffered paper. You should adicify your paper or change of brand.

4. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    it sounds very much like you are using a buffered paper, which probably means that it is too alkaline.
    use a 100% cotton or rag paper. It should be neutral or even better, slightly acidic.

5. FredW

FredW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So that was my problem with platine. I had found the image floated off the surface of Platine. Thanks.