Cycling and Photography

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by df cardwell, Jan 16, 2006.

1. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ( in the alternative processes just for the heck of it )

A century, or so, ago it was the hot thing to be a bicyclist and a photographer.

Well, I'm just slow to catch on, and slower to give up.

Outside my darkroom is my bike shop, with the old Masi getting cleaned up from last Thursday's ride in the snow. On the wall, next to the Rodinal times for every film made in the last 50 years, is my so-called training schedule for winter. And a picture of the hills outside Carhaix, Bretagne - a place I want to be in a year and a half and wonder how I'll make it.

Any other cyclists here ? A few, I know; gentle riders, psycho-cross, anyone who loves to ride a bicycle.

attached picture: the view atop Montagnes Noires.

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah! I'm a cyclist! Hybrid rider outdoors, racer and turbo trainer indoors! I cycle every day. I find it the best way to get around with a camera, especially from spring onwards! :wink: Please excuse the very poor picture quality, the racer shot was taken with my phone camera. Oh the shame! :sad:

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been cycling for about 30 years, and photographing for about 35. I used to ride quite a bit, before I moved to urban sprawl central, but I still get out when I can find the time. I still ride an 1982 touring bike, my first true touring frame bicycle, as well as a more modern mountain bike, and I often have a small camera on hand, just in case.

- Randy

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cycle on my Schwinn Mesa Runner with a camera hung around my neck. I've never been able to get good pix when I have that damned camera. The best opportunities always happen when I don't have the camera.

I've had 3 deer trot alongside me through the woods looking at me like the intruder I was, and me with no camera. When I have it, not a wild animal in sight.

Sometimes though, I just hike.

PE

6. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks David... wonder why it wasn't there when I searched for it :confused:

Still, and all, let's not talk about hardware, but the ride. Racing never interested me: that's to say I never WANTED to race. The ride was always the place to escape everything else.

Long quiet rides are still sanity-making. Middle Age demands a different contribution to the bike than my younger years, and a daily 2 hour ride gives back 4 hours of productivity.

An APUG team for Paris-Brest-Paris in 2007 ?

7. Gim

Gim Subscriber

I ride a road bike. For the last couple of years I have only logged a few hundred miles each and since retirement have gained some pounds. This summer I will try for a few thousand miles (at least that is what I tell myself). The traffic around here is a lot rougher than it was not too many years ago and now I try to stay on the paths or in larger rides where there is a big group of cyclist. Nothing like a good bike ride.
    Jim

8. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GIM: The streets are suicidal around me, except for a few special hours, and a couple parkways with a broad shoulder. Where are you ???

I've seen deer, of course, regularly on my rides. Fox, a couple times a year.

Funny black cats with white stripes down their back. Always fun.

No skunks on Cape Breton though.

9. Gim

Gim Subscriber

df, Wyoming, suburb of Grand Rapids. The best trail close around here is the one from Marne to Muskegon. Can get 50 miles round trip but it does get a little boring riding the same trail all the time. Occasionally get out to other trails and this summer want to get back into riding in the bigger rides. Even rode a ride in the U.P. once. One cool ride is the Apple Cider ride from Three Oaks Mi. Rode in it a couple time several years ago. They limit the riders to 7000 and I just wanted to see what 7000 bikers looked like. I doubt if they really have 7000 but they had a bunch. Maybe we can be on the same ride one of these days.
    Jim

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did spend a couple of days during the summer pottering around the back lanes of Hampshire and the New Forest on my bike with my old Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder in the handlebar bag... Good fun and I intend to do more this year as soon as the weather improves.

Riding a bike in London however, is a quick way of testing the efficiency of the Ambulance service...

Cheers, Bob.

11. Gim

Gim Subscriber

If anybodys interested in a real bike challenge look at the "National 24 hour Challenge" that is run here out of Middleville, MI. How many miles can you ride in 24 hours. There will be 450-500 riders and people come from all over this country and other countries. The record I believe is 493 miles, 8am to 8am. There are some pretty serious people out there and regulars just doing their best. This has been going on since 1983 and in 2005, riders from 21 states, Canada, Denmark and New Zealand paarticipated. Info at WWW.N24HC.ORG.

I volunteer every year and will be on the checkpoint 12:00 to 4:00 am. See you all there.
    Jim

edit. Fathers Day weekend

12. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now THAT is a great idea.... not the part about a London ambulance, but pottering in the countryside with a nifty folder and a bike. THAT is what may yet tempt me to acquire a suitable 120 camera... maybe an Ensign Selfix ?

Somehow related to the whole APUG spirit is the resurrection of Brooks from the demise of Sturmey Archer. The good old leather saddles are gaining new friends every day, not to mention their re-introduction of leather bags.

You've put terrible ideas into my head, Bob.... I have no intention of resistance !

13. dylder

dylder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ride, about 3000 miles a year, not bad for an old fat guy. I'm planning on riding the Michigan West Tour in July/August with The League of Michigan Cyclists. I've ridden it a couple times before 2001 & 2003. Great ride and plenty of photo ops on the Lake Michigan coast.

I rode Kansas one year and a guy that rode mounted an old Pentax with a 28mm under his seat and took shots of riders behind him. You can see his rear wheel in most of the photos - bak.org/archives/pastweb/bak98/bak98fr.html He had a cable release on his top tube but would have to reach under the seat to advance the film.

dw

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I read this thread with interest as I work at the National Cycling Centre in Manchester, UK - the Velodrome. I am the head coach there and have been in cycling [and track cycling] for a long time. I don't race now since I have little illness that's prevents me but I do get the old bikes out and go out cycling on the local lanes and trails a little- and tandeming too.
    Here in the Uk we are still recovering from a tragic accident when a car wiped out and killed four club cyclists a week ago - all cyclists that came into the place where I work to ride. Such a sad time.
    Anyway, great to see other cyclist /photogs out there. I take a Retinette 1a on my bke :smile:

16. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I ride a Tommasini, and when I ride I carry my rolli 35s.

17. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've also always enjoyed cycling and used to be a tour guide on cycling tours throughout Europe (Germany, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland...) had a great time.
    I'm off on another ride in 1/2 hour with the 35mm and 120mm. Nice to meet you.
    Kindest regards,
    Nicole

18. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like cycling, and I get to work across the centre of town faster on my bike than I could drive round the ring road. I also like the charm of the old 'bicycle' cameras and sales literature. But, and it's a big but, I don't find it a good way of taking photographs. It's just too fast: I need to walk before I have time to see.

19. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm

20. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    this topiuc came up at just the right time. i have decided to start cycling again as a means of conservation here in Minneapolis. There are easy trails from my house to my office and I plan to ride in twice a week. This means no kids to shuttle to and from school, no court appearances and no field visits with clients. but that simply means I have to be conscious about scheduling these so that I can have the cycling for the 7 miles each way. I will carry my Vitomatic ii with it's pristine 50mm Skopar and my Olympus XA with its 28mm lens.
    Luke

21. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree! The thing that kept me on the road for 1000+ miles a year was the ability to get out in the country and just be part of the scenery. There is really something magical about riding quietly into the world and just becoming part of it. You can stop when you want, there is no noise, and everything moves at a casual pace. Don't get me wrong, I really have nothing against the racers other than that they seem to give cyclists a bad reputation around where I live by riding in large packs in the traffic lane and disrupting traffic frequently.

Unfortunately, all of the places that I most cherished are now covered in zero lot line 'houses', but on the up side, I have a large, and growing, walk/bike/skate trail system near by. Right now the largest stretch is a 35 mile ride out and back, but it will soon be connected to another large system allowing something approaching a century round trip. I can't wait!

- Randy

22. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Originally Posted by Erkki
    "I have noticed that many good photographers are also cyclists. I have a special interest for both of them too.

Some ten years ago there was a photo exhibition in Finland called “Where to?” The exhibition poster illustrated a shadow of a bicycle. The largest newspaper of the country wrote "As soon as photographers find where to go, they surely take a bicycle to get there.”

Is there some mythical connection between photography & cycling? If so what might it be?"

There's no perspective quite like what you get when riding a bike. The bicycle is an extension of the body as a camera is an extension of the eye.
    I'm particularly partial to casual, non-competitive urban street riding.

My "tools" for two-wheeled transport are as follows:

1999 Trek 7700 Multitrack (hybrid)- Ruby Metro shocks and Rolf-Vector rims. NiteRider lighting system. (A little bit of Heaven on wheels).

2001 Specialized Rockhopper hard-tail (Hell on wheels)!

So. Cal.= 340 perfect cycling days a year!

23. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About halfway through the first cup of coffee, my vision begins to clear... and I'm absolutely stunned by the posts overnight. Maybe we should make up some t-shirts or something !? ( my budget can't stretch to vintage wool and embroidery ! )

GIM: The 24 hour challenge is insane. But maybe this year I'll be game. I'll probably be away... but who knows ?

PE: I think a great topic would be 'pictures that didn't happen'. Like your deer, and you without a camera ! LOL + tears !

DYLDER: old fat guy ? 3000 miles a year ? that condition is self-correcting, if true !
    I love "baks" pictures.

SCHLAPP: grieving with you over that accident. saw your gallery: D Smith, esq. resembles a predatory bird... which is apt ! A retinette is perfect.

I don't think I've ever made a 'great image' on a ride or cycling trip... but lots of pleasant snaps that have been nice to accumulate.

Raining. Supposed to snow this afternoon. Rush hour's over.

It's time. See you later :wink:

Maybe this is a good subgroup ?

24. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    What are you doing the last week of July? May I suggest RAGBRAI--the Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. Six days, 500 miles, 10,000 of your closest friends. It has the best of all worlds--great food, homemade pies, as much beer as you can drink and still get on a bike the next day, young girls dressed (or not)...

Visit their website. The route for next year should be announced next month. The small towns in Iowa go all out to host the riders--beer gardens, church dinners, live bands, and did I mention the girls?

Remember though, Iowa is not flat--especially Southern Iowa. Hill training strongly advised.

I have gone on the ride for the last two years with my teen age son. When ever I needed to find him, I just looked for the team bus for Team Blond--did I mention the girls?

My daily schedule: hit the road at 6:30, ride 6 miles, stop for breakfast, ride 6 more miles, stop for brunch, ride 6 miles, stop at Mr. Pork Chop, ride 6 miles, stop for steak sandwhich, ride 6 miles, get lunch, ride 6 miles, stop at Pastafari, ride 6 miles, stop for pie, ride 6 miles, get homemade ice cream...

I rode 500 miles and gained 10 pounds in a week. Did I mention the home made pie?

Allen

25. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Anyone use a B.O.B (beer on board..hehe) of these ? I was thinking about ordering one...All I need to do now is to make a simple cam to create a pumping action for the tap....Err, I mean my Sinar case would fit nicely on it.

http://www.bobtrailers.com/trailers/yak.php

26. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    schwinnparamount, his userid is obvious :smile:
    I started racing back in '82 as a junior
    started riding again 3 years ago
    started racing again last year
    will start racing veterans category this year! Yikes from Junior to Veteran in a blink of an eye.