D-23 where to buy?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by norm123, Jan 23, 2014.

1. norm123

norm123 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi

I read a lot of good things about this develloper but I don't know where to buy it. I was thinking that it was obsolete since a lot of time.

Are there some equivalent?

Thank you

2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not sure it has ever been available commercially. It is easy to make...just 2 teaspoons of metol and four tablespoons of sodium sulfite dissolved in a quart (or a liter, doesn't really matter) of warm water.

3. JW PHOTO

JW PHOTO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You either have to mix your own (very simple with just Metol and Sodium Sulfite) or buy it from Photograhers' Formulary as "Film developer 23".

4. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are based in Europe, try Saban Suvatlar.

I got chemicals for Barry Thornton Two Bath from Saban...

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes - Kodak D-76/Ilford ID-11

6. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D23 is one of the esiest to make yourself;good one to get started with photo chemistry
    :wink:

Attached Files:

7. norm123

norm123 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for tips

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Saban was my #1raw chemical supplier while I lived in Germany.He's a great resource. Keep'm in business. while you still can.

9. norm123

norm123 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in Canada. But US market is OK for me

10. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    micro scales with 0.01gm resolution are cheap.

book of developer options or web for formula.

D23 and eg POTA are low contrast developers you can web all the gory details and try the most applicable to your needs.

ID 11 and D76 are fine grain, the prepackaged kits different from the original formula to improve life as stock solution.

D23 is markedly different.

the cyclic hydrocarbons are nitrite gloves safety glasses and face mask hazchm keep in bathroom no kids never kitchen.

I use ID68 cause I have skin problems, POTA ocassionally ditto for choice.

11. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Xmas:

1) D-23 is not a low contrast developer and is not like POTA at all

2) D-23 was formulated by Henn to essentially be a substitute for D-76. The working characteristics are very close. D-23 is said to give slightly finer grain with slightly less film speed

12. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lots of good tips already. It's super easy to mix having only two ingredients... I'm using it exclusively now. After mixing it try using it straight and diluted 1+1 and 1+3 with water, see what flavor you like best.

P.S. I have made it using a scale as well as the teaspoon / tablespoon formula BradS mentioned and did not see a difference in my negatives / prints.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never tried D-23 personally, but I am very happy with Barry Thornton Two Bath for ISO 400 films.

16. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand, D-23 was a Kodak commercial offering. So why did Kodak discontinue D-23 and keep D-76 and HC-110? That's not a challenge to your comment, but a question. I.E. why should I buy D-76 when I can mix D-23 so easily?

17. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    POTA is more extreme than D23 eg for extracting spectrography lines out of starlight... but the massive dev chart has D23 as a low contrast dev...
    and

Anchell ' says'
    "... it would seem that the best developers to use are those that exhibit superadditive characteristics. Most general-purpose developers fall into this category. However, there is a flip side. Most developers that utilize this effect tend to yield greater high-value density than those that rely on one developing agent. A developer of the semi-compensating type using either metol or pyro alone in a solution of relatively low pH, is capable of producing brilliant high values, full-scale mid-tones and shadows (e.g. Kodak D-23 and Kodak D-1, ABC Pyro, especially Edward Weston's variation)." - pp 42

"Kodak D-23 This is a semi-compensating developer that produces fine shadow values while retaining a high emulsion speed... Note: This developer produces negatives of speed and graininess comparable to Kodak D-76, without D-76's tendency to block highlights. " - pp. 150

Have you tried D23?

Noel

18. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    D23 maybe thought of as "semi-compensating"...but it is really not correct to call it low contrast. It is or can be very similar to D76 in use and produces similar results.

19. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree, it is definitely capable of N+ development even diluted 1+3 and I find the local contrast to be exceptional.

20. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I have tested D-23. But you don't have to trust me. Read about it in Haist etc.

If you're going to quote Anchell you forgot the parts in FDC where they say D-23 will be found to work nearly identically to D-76, and also the part where they say D-76 is functionally a single agent developer. Etc. :smile:

In any case the quotes you listed are severe oversimplifications of the mechanisms of superadditivity. Having a single developing agent says nothing about film speed, contrast etc. What about concentration? D-76 is not D-23 + a second developing agent. It has a much lower Metol concentration than D-23.

The point is there are many variables, and it therefore makes no sense to generalize about developers based simply on how many developing agents they have in them. It just doesn't work that way.

The notion D-23 is a "semi-compensating" (whatever that even means) or low contrast developer is simply another one of those photographic myths.

As for POTA, it is entirely different and produces very different results. It isn't a general purpose formula.

21. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done business with the following company several times and have always been satisfied with the service and products.

http://www.techcheminc.com/

Kodak D-23 has never really gone out of favor. It is a general purpose developer producing clean negatives. It is best used for higher than normal contrast scenes or films like Ilford Pan F which tend to be contrasty by nature.

By mixing your own you are privy to a whole range of developer formulas which can be very convenient and also save money. For example add borax to the two chemicals used in D-23 and you have D-76H.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  22. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many years ago, I recall a talk at our school camera club by a very elderly gentleman whose speciality was architectural and church photography, and I can still remember his prints, never seen any better of similar subjects since.

I remember he used Ilford glass plates and D23...his formula was similar, "teaspoon of Metol and handful of sodium sulphite in a pint of water" :smile:

23. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    US and Imperial quarts are considerably different in size.

24. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it possible to use phenidone instead of metol, say 1.5 g of phenidone vs 7.5 g of metol?

25. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. You cannot simply substitute Metol and Phenidone in single-agent formulas such as D-23. On their own these two developing agents are very different in their working characteristics.

26. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is the "recipe" I have used when mixing it without a scale. I have a nice set of stainless spoons that are easy to level without smooshing the ingredients. I believe consistency and keeping things dry through proper storage are key.