D2 Enlarger in Eastern Ontario ... pick it up or pass it on?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by John Bartley, Nov 18, 2007.

1. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A friend of mine has an enlarger he wants to get rid of. It's a model # D2, and I don't know if it's an Omega or a Durst. It looks like Omega pictures I've found on the web, but he called it a Durst. I had a fast look at it and it "looks" complete and straight. It's basically clean, a bit dusty. There's one glass in the condensor lens chamber and it comes with three enlarging lenses, a 4x5 and 35mm carrier, two old timers, three safelight glasses (two are "new in box") and a Kodak darkroom thermometer which is about 15" long (and is in it's box).

I already have an Elwood 5x7 diffuser enlarger which is basically complete, set up and working perfectly that I would have to sell if I bought this one so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

He's asking $250, but has hinted VERY strongly that he'd like it out of his way (he's not a photographer) and that I should make him an offer, so I'll bet he'd sell it for less than $200.

Any opinions about differences in usability. I'm not having any trouble with the Elwood. Any reason that I should jump on this? Any one else have an interest if I pass on it? It's a bit north and east of Kingston.

cheers and thank you

2. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, perhaps there is such a thing as a Durst D2, but the most common D2 would be the Omega. To make it a bit more complex, Omega made a DII and then later the D2. The two are often mixed up. Both the D2 and DII go up to 4x5. Here's a useful reference site: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Omega provided different condenser sets for different focal length lenses. So with one set provided, you'd be limited. Also, if memory serves, there should be 2 concave condenser lenses comprising the set. So if you just have one, there may be one missing.

$250 seems high by today's standards (I can't even say "even in Canadian $s" anymore), but close to that price could be justified if it's a D2, very clean and comes with a good selection of negative carriers and lens cones. At that price, I'd also expect a second set of condensers for a different focal length lens.

BTW, I have scanned copies of the instruction manuals for each and can send them if you'd like.

3. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Punt!

4. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi folks,

Thank you for the input. I think I'll take your advice and give it a pass. I'll also pass along the info to my friend. He's quite reasonable, so I suspect he'll lower the price substantially and post it in a local paper for sale.

cheers end thanks again.

MGB74 : thank you for the offer of the scans. If I do "end up" with it, I'd be grateful for the scans and will get back to you then.