D76 and Asprin

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Paul Howell, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On another site some posted that he increased "sharpness" with D 76 by adding an asprin tablet to a gallon of stock D 76. News to me, but I do not use a lot of D 76. Any idea if there is any science behind it?

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The aspirin is to prevent heart attacks when you see that your negative isn't sharp. Grin.

3. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    just a guess, but if it's an aspirin with added vitamin c, it might have something to do with that.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are you sure it wasn't Tylenol? You can make a developer similar to Rodinal from acetaminophen, but it involves mixing the Tylenol with lye to convert it to something akin to the developing agent in Rodinal.

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No the claim was asprin, 1 tablet, I guess will buy a bottle along with a power line filter.

6. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where's Gadget? Maybe acetylsalycylic acid and ascorbic acid have something in common other than being acids.

7. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Salycilic acid is Ryuji Suzuki's territory, but IIRC it had to do with sequestering a certain valence of iron that could cause the sudden death of some ascorbate developers. It's hard to see how 5 mg of aspirin in a gallon of D-76 could have any effect on any of its characteristics. I'm pretty sure not even 5 mg of ascorbic acid would have any measurable effect on a gallon of D-76.

It may be that the science of it was that of putting us on.

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Asprin is acetyl salicylic acid, a derivative of the salisylic acid parent. When asprin decomposes, it forms salicylic acid + acetic acid and that is why bad aspring smells like vinegar.

Salicylic acid or even asprin may be a complexing agent for iron salts but there are far better ones.

I agree with Patrick that any effect would be tiny, if there was an effect at all. But who knows, try it! That is what research is all about.

PE

9. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aspirin is also supposed to help keep your Christmas tree green a bit longer. Add a couple to the water in the bucket that your tree is is in. If it can keep your tree green, who knows what it can do for your film. Hey, just think what an aspirin could do for digital!

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i thought it was cheap vodka that was supposed to keep your christmas tree greener? it works with cut flowers. like coffee developer, you don't want to use good-stuff, the cheapest gut rot works wonders ...

11. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheap vodak makes me turn green.

:D

PE

12. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Say!! WAIT A MINUTE! Do you think that the ingestion of a mixture of Yukon Jack and Grey Goose vodka could have had an effect on the color balance of my color printing? Is there - COULD there be - some form of "projected osmosis" between MY internals (blood stream, etc.) and my color chemistry???

I might try a variation: GG Vodka and the usual, mundane Kahlu'a - and see if there is any variation - although I think the analytic comparison between a gray card and the image taken of it - showing NO appreciable difference between them - my results now - is about as good as I'm going to get. I will even expand on this - I have some TURI (Estonian) vodka ...

Us APUGgers want to know!!!:rolleyes:

13. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kahlua would probably give a s**tty color to your pictures. Kinda brown.

Meem is best. A fine Logish Meem (go look it up).

PE

14. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Following this thread is giving me a headache. I think I'll go grab an aspirin. :wink:

15. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmmm, I thought I once noticed that there was a correlation between vodka consumption and the accuracy of focussing with the rangefinder ? Could have been coincidence though (pun intended).....