D76 powder to working solution?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bessa_L_R3a, Oct 2, 2011.

1. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi,

I just bought my first packs of D76 powder developer. I understand the basic process involved in preparing it for development. You pour the whole pouch into a container and add the indicated amount of water to create the stock solution, which lasts six months and can be used to create the actual working solution at a ratio of one part solution, one part water. Easy enough.

My question is can working solution be created directly from a smaller amount of powder? Like, just enough to do two rolls?

Sometimes I go months without shooting (a problem, yes) and my thinking is that keeping the developer in powder form will help it last longer than if I just mix it all up into stock solution.

- Robert

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are multiple components in the powder that are NOT mixed. If you only mix some of the powder, you have no idea if what you have is even close to a proper mix.

Mix the stock with distilled water and store in air squeezed out 2 liter soda bottles, it will keep for almost a year.

Shoot more film. :smile:

3. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Roger that. Thanks.

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The same question has been asked since Kodak started to sell it pre-packed in the late 1920's and the answer has always been "no".

But if you start to mix it yourself from raw chemicals you can make as much or as little as you need. But "shoot more film" is the best advice. :D

5. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another strategy to ensure fresh developer is to accumulate exposed films and delay mixing the developer until you have enough exposed films to consume the developing capacity of the kit within a few days.

Kodak shows D76 having a capacity of 4 rolls per quart (or liter) of stock solution, or 16 rolls per gallon (or 4 liters).

Kodak’s capacity notes for D76 at various concentrations is shown on page 7 here

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j78/j78.pdf

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't concern yourself with shelf life. Just shoot and develope until it's all used up. I store my D-76 in 250ml bottles, and keep them tightly capped, they last far longer than 6 months. I used to use D-76 replenished when I shot more, it lasts a very long time that way.

7. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't hesitate doing the partial bag mix with Dektol... negatives don'l offer a easy do-over.
    That being said you could be a pioneer here in offering some evidence on doing a partial bag mix.
    I do not see why it would be out of the question if you mixed the bag up good then perhaps spooned out of the bag what you needed onto a scale of something.

8. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely correct.

Developer is cheap, film is expensive.

9. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider using HC-110, the concentrate lasts for years. It is perfect for your situation. Just dilute the concentrate directly just before use. It produces negatives similar to D-76. Many dilute it 1+49 which is very convenient. Use a small 10 or 25 ml graduate. Use developing times for dilution E.

Check this site for good information on this developer. www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  10. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Every company that makes powdered developers tells you not to mix partials.

There's a good reason...
    The various chemicals don't distribute evenly through the package contents, so using half of it will not get half of each component.

- Leigh