Da Yi 6x12 back, Graflock. Any users?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Dec 11, 2011.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After recieving a "Graflex 6x9 back" on ebay, which turned out to be a graflex 6x6 back cut open to 6x9 (which was well done and I would have used it if it had not been for the repaired crack on the back) I am in the market for a rollfilm back to use on my Graflex 4x5 cameras. I saw this, and as it comes with the frame adapters to do multiple formats, it seems like a good deal for the price. However, like all prouducts coming out of china, I am slightly skeptical of the build quality, so I figured i'd inquire here. For those not famaliar, here's the seller's link on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYI-6x12-6...cks_Holders&hash=item415e8d09d6#ht_5150wt_902

2. rawhead

rawhead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, that is a great deal for the price…I'm intrigued.

3. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DaYi are OK, but crude. You need to use the red window to advance. I prefer Horseman and Wista backs that mechanical stops.

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True, but iirc backs with mechanical stops fail a lot more often. You sound like you've used them, what is the build quality like?

5. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never had a Horseman back fail on me and I put several hundreds of rolls thought them. Wista seem to be very similar.

6. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm trying to determine if the build quality of the DaYi is good enough to facilitate flat, unfogged 6x12 images, in a roll film holder well made enough to last for a while. I welcome comparisons, however, not having used/seen anything other than the hacked up Graflex back previously mentioned, they won't be exactly helpful.

I'd love to have a Horseman back, but they are twice as much, and I'm saving up for some Nikkors. From what I've already read, these backs are okay, and excellent for this price point.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a 6x17, and the build quality was fine. It was square, light tight, kept the film as flat as can be expected, and mechanically simple, so there wasn't much to fail.

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well folks... I done and got one, I'll let you all know how it comes out.

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The DaYi has masks for 6x12, 6x9, 6x6, and 6x4.5. How do you build a reasonably priced 4-format roll film back with 4 sets of switchable mechanical stops?

I've got Wista roll film backs as well, and wouldn't call the DaYi crude.

Lee

10. Simon Benton

Simon Benton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had one of the older DaYi 6X12 backs for a number of years and it has worked flawlessly.