DAG Camera Repair

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by ishutteratthethought, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey folks,
    Just checking to see if anyone else is having issues with DAG Camera's turnaround for camera repair.
    http://www.dagcamera.com/

I have been reluctant to post this issue & not to whine but it is now going on three years since I sent my Minox IIIs in for repair and still no camera.

I have sent several emails and left messages and actually talked to Don a few times however I have not heard a peep in well over a year. Every time I try to call the phone is busy. Every email sent goes into the abyss it seems.

Strange way to run a business, I am a bit dumfounded on the service, will I ever see that old Minox IIIs again?

Comforting thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I doubt any store or repair person's reputation - no matter who they are - is worth three years of frustration. I am aware of who DAG is in these circles, but you should not have waited this long to raise hell. I am surprised to hear this, as DAG is often recommended as a Leica repair source. A year ago, I considered sending my M7 to him for a repair.

But still: even if there was a legitimate reason (health, parts, etc.), three years is three years. Shame on them/him.

Are you prepared to let the camera go? The aggravation you personally would go through to get the camera back may not be worth the effort, even if the camera is still around to be returned.

Regards,

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve,

That blows, frankly. I was aware of this since some time, and am sorry to hear that Mr. Goldberg has not returned your camera in three years. That really is terrible behavior, and he should at least offer you some explanation or compensation if he lost the camera or perhaps destroyed it.

Like Shawn, I have many people whom I trust recommend DAG for Leica camera and lens repairs, so I'm very surprised. His reputation is, as far as I can tell, impeccable. I hope he would just confess he lost your camera or something, since all humans make mistakes, but he should try to compensate you or make it right, a sign that he's man enough to at least measure up to common decency.

I hope you get your camera back.

- Thomas

4. jmcd

jmcd Member

Hello Steve,

Good luck. I have had some repairs done by DAG, and I expected a long wait, which did occur. If I were in your situation I would probably just send an old fashioned letter, asking to have my camera returned ASAP. Don't get frustrated or try to read too much into the situation.

5. M. Lointain

M. Lointain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Three years?! He has a really good reputation but frankly that is brutal. I would send him a bill for the replacement value of the camera if I were you giving him two weeks to produce the camera or the cash. That is the only way you will get his attention. I would also just prefer to get the camera back at this point and send it somewhere else if I was in your shoes.

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had called them to ask about a repair and got right through. This was about a month ago. I ended up sending my camera through Minox to be repaired by the factory. Thank god I did.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's order of mangunitudes longer than anyone should reasonably expect for a repair to take.

One thing is clear though. Whatever happened already happened and you have no power to change it. So I would concentrate on getting whatever is worth back. If I were in your situation, I would:

1) First write a letter stating what happened and how long it has been - and that he did not reply to your repeated inquiry. You request you want your camera back or be compensated for your loss. Tell him you expect a reply in 30 days. I'd be nice but firm. Send it to him via certified letter.

2) If he does not reply in reasonable amount of time, then consider your next step.

At this point, we are just guessing and anything is possible. What happened has already happened, if it happened. I'd keep an open mind and hope for the best. After all, what else can you do - reasonably, really....

8. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sort of reminds me of the year sherry kept my 'Flex sl2 -- waaay too long, and what's suprising is that he did a Minox XL for me not 6 months ago ... so we know he's there, and he just did my M3 shutter adjustment a month ago, albeit after holding it 3 months and then responding to a nudge.

I think he's overwhelmed with repairs and when someone nags and it can be slapped out quick he grabs it and does it. Keep trying, but I wonder, sometimes, if these repair people are getting both overwhelmed and a bit older and tired.

I'd send a Minox IIIs to Essex in NJ -- they're simple cameras, really.

9. ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your thoughts folks,
    I know Don was struggeling with the shutter initially but was determined he could fix it.
    I will try to get a hold of him again via snail mail.

I am normally not one to throw people under the bus, but I felt I needed to discuss my next move on this issue.
    Don is a highly skilled repair man with years of knowledge and I am sure he will get me back the IIIs soon.
    Steve

10. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any further news on DAG?

Both Minox and Blue Moon told me to go to DAG. I notice there are also UK and German repair shops for the 8x11 cameras.

I bought a friend's IIIs yesterday, the only problem initially seemed to be the 1/2sec, B, and T settings. I could live with that. So, later, I began testing the other speeds and sometimes they were reasonable and sometimes they seemed to be at 1/1000. The more I used it, the more the slower speeds started to come back. However, then I tried T again and it tripped instantly. Also, it still wanted the second shutter press before it could be recocked. That's when I decided to move it off T to a regular speed. When I did that and cocked it, a flat metal piece of the shutter/cocking mechanism entered the viewfinder and the shutter now seems jammed.

Obviously I can't undo my purchase, so I'd like to get it repaired. It looks like I would've had to do that anyway, but I was hoping I'd get a chance to use it first!

11. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just want to report that Don at DAG repaired my Minox IIIs and it's working fine. I sent it earlier this month and got it back last week - that's pretty quick, as most of the time I think was in shipping.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Three years to service a camera isn't repair, it's theft. :cry:

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My repair took a week, which is excellent. I don't know what the issue was with the original poster's camera, but I do know from email that his camera was fixed and returned.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  14. ColColt

ColColt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't believe this when I read it. Three years is unbelievable for any reason. Makes me not want to get that Leicaflex SL2 I've been considering and sending it off for a little CLA. I may reconsider now.

15. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, just send him an email and get an estimate. Don replied to all my emails and was very professional. He repaired my camera in about a week - most of the other time was taken in USPS shipping.

I can't imagine better service than that. So, I can recommend DAG and I will be sending another camera to him.

16. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting I just found this thread. I emailed Don a few days ago and got several replies very quickly, and just sent in my M3 for some repairs and mods. Will report back experience. I was referred to him by Bellamy Hunt.

17. ColColt

ColColt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sent an email two weeks ago about a Leicaflex and haven't heard a word.