daguerreotypes on mirror?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by R Paul, Jun 6, 2013.

1. R Paul

R Paul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was just wondering since daguerreotypes are made with silver coated copper plate, could you use a front surface mirror instead?
    Mirror coating a piece of glass is not too difficult.
    Rob

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Commercial front surface mirrors have either got a Silver or a Aluminium layer. There will be a protective coating too.

3. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In theory, yes; in practice, you may find that the silver has to be a good bit thicker than can easily be deposited by the Brashear process, and vapor-deposited layers tend to have internal structure and stress that will react differently from electroplated silver.

I played with this back in the 1970s (using a laboratory evaporator and Corning 7059 glass) but saw that the silver film was much too fragile. What I would still like to try is using chromium for adhesion and copper for conductivity, and electroplating enough silver to make a Daguerrotype. (It is easier to get a mirror surface on glass than on thin copper.) But this is not something that scales down gracefully, and I doubt that anyone who doesn't already have the equipment would acquire all of it just for this purpose.

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Front surface mirrors will not use silver since they are essentially unprotected against hydrogen sulfide in the air which would otherwise quickly turn them black. A conventional mirror (looking glass) has a thick protective coating on the back to protect the silver coating.

So get out your buffing pads. One must suffer for one's art. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  5. R Paul

R Paul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I do already. I carry around a RB-67-with a tripod

Well it's good to find out that it can't be done. You don't go crazy trying to make it work,and you can spend the time on something else

Rob

6. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC, JG Motamedi (I believe that's his username) has done this on glass that he has silvered himself. There was a topic about it here back in 2009 or so. I'll find the link.

7. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole