Daguerro type

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Peter de Groot, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Out of curousity are there any photographer out there who do Daguerro type of photography?
    I used the search function but could find a defintive answer? If yes, how did you come to it? WHat difficulties do you run into?

I am not going to try it out myself in the near future. First have to get used to the normal darkroom stuff. But maybe in the future I might venture into this. But for now it is just curiousoty that prompted me to ask this question.

Regards,

Peter

2. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I may be one of the only people on (or rarely on) this forum who make Daguerreotypes, but there are probably 100 or so currently active Daguerreotypists in the world. I have taught workshops to more than 200 people, but very few actually go home and put what they have learned into practice--it is just too hard and too expensive for all but the most obsessive and driven. Some details in the process I teach here: http://motamedi.info/daguerreotypy.htm

3. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting read. Looks really complicated indeed. I have bookmarked your page. Thanks for the reply.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a presentation this weekend in Philadelphia by a Japanese photographer who does mercury-developed daguerreotypes, at Project Basho, which is an APUG sponsor.

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. thisismyname09

thisismyname09 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My current photo teacher has the knowledge to make daguerrotypes, however I don't think he actively does; he seems to be more of an author at the moment than a photographer. His name's David Carroll. I think he made a number of daguerrotypes as props for some horror movie a few years ago. (iirc he said that they wanted a scene where a bunch of the pictures got destroyed, and, obviously, he wouldn't sacrifice "authentic" daguerrotypes for a movie, so he simply made a set of new ones.)

7. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understandably. Just seen some real daguerrotypes this weekend. Really cool stuff. Would love to see some new made ones. However I have the feeling that in the Netherlands there are none. And the states is a bit too expensive to travel too. Right see what google has to offer me. :smile:

Thanks for the link gonna keep me busy for a while.