Dale Labs will no longer make slides from neg film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys-
    For many of you this is not a big loss, but this Friday July 31, Dale Labs will no longer make a set of slides from a roll of negative film for you. This worked well for me on some occasions. They did a pretty good job. They said the the machine that they have left after 30 years of service eats to much electricity, water, is becoming an environmental hazard and is failing them. This is the service that made Dale big years ago. They will now make a set of prints from a roll of E-6 instead. www.Dalelabs.com

2. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually had them do this last fall. And I was not too impressed. Contrast was through the roof. And the colors were wacked out. Honestly, just about ANY slide film out there will give you better slides than getting slides from C41.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The materials for having this done properly disappeared a long time ago. It can still be done digitally but would be expensive I suspect dr5 could do them for a price.

As Matt says it's best to use slide film in the first place if you want slides to project.

Ian

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a great loss so far as I'm concerned. My experience is much like StorminMatt. The colors and contrast are pretty bad. When I want slides, I just take slides. Prints from slides are a better compromise, in my opinion.
    I would suppose the market for slides from neg. film is pretty small these days. The print media doesn't use them any more, and how many families sit down in the evening with the slide projector and popcorn to enjoy the vacation photos? You know, I really miss that. When my wife and I were kids, our parents did that nearly every weekend.

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did this simply for the times I wanted slide and only had neg film. I also did this when I needed the speed or exposure lattitude of neg film.

6. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A good point. And when you consider that the lion's share of printing is done digitally anyway, slides are not nearly as much of a liability as they were in the past when it comes to making prints.