Dallmeyer 2A

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by coriana6jp, Sep 6, 2009.

1. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I came across a rather Dallmeyer 2A lens. I have not been able to come across alot of info on the beast. Beyond that I will admit, I know next to nothing about this monster, I am not sure whether I will keep it or get rid of it. But, if anybody has information on this thing it would be greatly appreciated. What I do know is it's 20.5cm(8.1in) long, 11.8cm(5 inches) in diameter, and it weighs 2120grams (4.6lbs). Its in good condition, the focusing knob is smooth, the glass is scratch free and there is no fungus or any other artifacts. There are no waterhouse stops or flange. Attached below are a couple of pictures.

Thanx!

Gary

Attached Files:

2. Anton Lukoszevieze

Anton Lukoszevieze Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You don't need it, just send it to me :wink:

3. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You are probably right, I don't need it! But, I want to play at least a little bit, especially if it swirls!

Gary

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice find! The Dallmeyer 2A Patent Portrait lens is a Petzval design intended primarily for portraits. There is a cemented doublet in front and two air-spaced elements in the rear. The marks on the brass ring of the rear element are positions the lens element can be unscrewed to achieve a psuedo soft focus effect. In older lenses, the two elements are usually frozen together and can't be unscrewed. This isn't a major loss because the soft focus effect isn't very good. The 2A is a 13.5" lens originally intended cover a 4"x6" plate. If you want to see extensive swirl, you should try it on whole plate or even 8x10. The image circle will be roughly equivalent to the focal length.

More info at: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/dallmeyer_1.html

More info and you can date your lens at: http://antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

5. Anton Lukoszevieze

Shooter:
    Large Format
    yes, it is very swirly wide open, when you a have tried it then send it to me :D

6. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for all the information. I am having a friend with a machine shop make a flange and I think I have an extra packard shutter lying around here somewhere. I will put it on 8x10 to begin with and see how well it works!

Thanks much!

Gary

7. Anton Lukoszevieze

Shooter:
    Large Format
    it will work wonderfully....

8. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information. The rear elements on lens do unscrew! SO I guess I go lucky in that regard.

The lens didnt come with a flange, not any waterhouse stops. So I am going to either try to locate one or have SK Grimes make one before I can use the lens. I got lucky, the glass is completely scratch/fungus/seperation free.

Thanks!

Gary