Damaged Condenser Lens

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Terence, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a 4x5 Beseler condenser head for a fairly low price. Unfortunately it wasn't packed well and showed up with chips in the lower element at the three locations where there are retaining "clips" (for lack of the apprpriate term). Given the price it's not worth shipping it back. So my questions are:
    [A] Are the elements symmetrical? They appear to be.

Should I flip the damaged bottom element to the top, under the same thinking that a scratch to a front lens element is "better" than a scratch to a rear element? I would use a Sharpie permanent marker to black over the damaged areas to reduce reflections.

[C] Before I spend my time breaking down and reassembling the thing, how much will this really affect the image making? I'm hardly a pro, or trying to make my living at this. I bought the condenser head as a back-up to the color head I currently have, assuming that the dichroic filters will eventually go.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So it's on the outside edge? Make a print and see. They might not matter at all. Only way to tell is to test it.

3. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The damage extends in from the edge between a 1/4" to 1/2" and is about 1" to 1 1/2" long. It broke off in scalloped patterns, so I can imagine them reflecting quite a bit.

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If reflection or refraction is a problem, try black heat resistant paint. Also, rotating the condenser so the chips aren't in the light path to the corners of the image should minimize any effect.

5. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I thought I just saw a free condenser lens in the classifieds at one of these photo groups. Thought it was here, but a quick look didn't show it. Hmmm?

6. jmailand

jmailand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had luck using a black permanent marker, like a Sharpie on condenser chips. I was getting a couple little white spots in a my prints on a old Omega B22, I used the marker on the chips and the spots went away.

James

7. jmailand

jmailand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just saw your new message about the chips being on the edge. My chip were on the edge and were about the size of a nickel and the black marker did the job.

Jmaes,

8. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    do you paint the whole chip or just the rim of it?

9. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have chips just like yours on my Omega D-2. It hasn't bothered me yet.

10. jmailand

jmailand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I painted the whole chip on my enlarger.

James, (hey I spelled it right this time, I got a D in typing back in high school):D