Damaged prints....help

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Steve Smales, May 13, 2009.

1. Steve Smales

Steve Smales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there,

I have just received some long awaited prints (on Fuji photographic pearl paper). Unfortunately the postman has made a 15" wide cardboard envelope go through a 14" wide letter box.

As a consequence, the prints are kinked along their top edge.

Aside from claiming against the Post Office, has anyone ever successfully removed kinks by ironing, pressing or any other means.

I wondered about mounting on card with spray mount....

Thanks
    Steve

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You definitely can't iron RC pearl paper. It sounds like you're out of luck. If the bend isn't enough to cause the little wrinkle in the surface you can sometimes work out the bend by pushing back with a blunt object on the backside. Or if there is not a definite fold or wrinkle mark you might be able to work it out by dry mounting finished prints or mounting on a card with spray mount... and rubbing the bent area down.

You could always get another pack of the same paper and then use the bent pack to cut up for tests. It is of some use that way.

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

He got prints, not paper. You might try simply placing them between two books if they're not superficially damaged.

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Steve

What is the material, RC, FB? I have successfully removed kinks from FB prints by soaking them for about 20 minutes in water, but I have a dry-mount press to get them flat after that. If you don't have this equipment, it might not work for you unless you find a local framing shop that does.