Dan Smith, Photographer

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by sanking, Jul 21, 2005.

1. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Many weeks ago Dan Smith offered for sale on this site a copy of Willian Mortensen's book, Mortensen on the Negative. Having long been interested in acquiring a copy of this book I immediately responded and bought it from Dan. However, because of travels out west this summer I was not able to return to South Carolina until late last week, and Dan delayed mailing the book until my return.

Well, today I received and opened a package from Dan, which included not only the book (in great shape and which I plan to read with great attention over the next sseveral day), but also a beautiful Pt./Pd. print entitled Trevas Porch. Although I had seen this image before in reproduction, the tactile beauty of it as a real Pt./Pd. image rather took my breath away, and immediately reminded me why many of us appreciate and place so much value on the hand-crafted print.

In a note accompanying the book and print Dan thanked me for coming up with the Pyrocat-HD developer, which he used in developing the negative that gave the print Trevas Porch. OK, but it is I who must think Dan for extraordinary artistic use of the formula, and I can not think of anything I did in developing the formula that is more meaningful than this beautiful image.

Sandy

2. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya know, I'm constantly amazed at the outright generosity of photographers; The way they are always willing to help, passing on their knowledge or loan a piece of equipment to someone in need.

Thanks for sharing your story, Sandy :smile:

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember that image, Dan posted it here in the gallery...would have to agree with Sandy, anything that looks that good on a screen has to be really nice in person.

Kudos' to Dan for his thoughtful act, and to Sandy for sharing.

4. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to take a look at that, do you know Dan's APUG login name?
    (I tried all the permutations of 'Dan Smith' that I could think of.)

Nathan

5. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I did a trade several years ago with Dan and I got 2 lovely images out of the deal. He was screwed in my opinion. I met him in the Salt Lake City area a couple of times and always enjoyed his company too.

lee\c