Darkcloth Size

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by nuckabean, Feb 21, 2009.

1. nuckabean

nuckabean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was hoping to make my own darkcloth for my 4x5 camera and was wondering what the proper size would be to make it. Is using something like a dark felt from Joann's or wherever else acceptable?

Thanks,
    -Nate

2. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whatever size you make it, I wouldn't make it dark felt or you'll burst into flame during the summer months. I use a Blackjacket now, which is like a shirt with sleeves for the arms, so maybe someone else will hold forth re proper size.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4x4 foot minimum. White on one side, black on the other, with velcro edges. A light, canvasy material may be appreciated, though you actually want the thing to have some weight because it can become a sail in a breeze... you might think of sewing some little weights onto the four corners.

4. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XL Tee shirt, black, from the Goodwill store. A buck and a half. Neck goes over the camera, my head goes in the bottom, my arms go in the sleeves.

I have no professional image to maintain, and it works well.

tim (tee shirt) in san jose

5. blokeman

blokeman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    & I use that thin curtain backing material, black one side, white the other... $10 metre here, mine is 1 metre square ... then I stuck 2 small pieces of Velcro on 2 corners for those windy days.

6. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a tubular dark cloth from Lotus View Camera. Silver on the outside and black inside. My only criticism is that it is a little light and flaps about in the wind. However as it is secured to the rear standard by an elasiticated collar I suspect it is not as bad as an unweighted unattached cloth. Whatever material you use I would agree that sewing in weights is a good idea.

7. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Medium Size Harrison Dark Cloth - http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=670

The silver outer face reflects heat from the sun but even so gets quite warm in there after a while

Its also waterproof - so use it as a rain cover for the Camera when its set up on the Tripod

There is no right size of Dark Cloth - they need to be big to shut out enough light but small so they don't act as a sail in the wind (I have learned to keep one hand on my Tripod at all times when the dark Cloth is on the Camera)

Have fun

Martin