darkroom beginner with problems(ye think?)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dec, Jun 27, 2007.

1. dec

dec Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ive got a problem regarding my developing contact sheets and i dont think its opperator error now that i tried a few tests.the contacts came out very gray with no true black.i exposed paper alone(as a test) for 2secs intrvals and 30 sec intervals up to 1min 30 secs and the paper comes out gray .i believe ive got the chemicals down regards to mix ,temp and time but still this gray result and no black..any help ? please and thanks ,,declan

2. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You believe. Could you please tell us specific, what chemicals, how old, how did you mix them?

What paper, how old?

Thank you.

3. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you take a sheet of paper from the box and develop it directly, without exposing it, does it come out gray or white?

If white, check to make sure that your safelight is safe, and your darkroom is dark by laying a sheet of paper on your easel with a metal object on the paper - a coin, pair of scissors, whatever. Leave it for 5 mins or so (do not expose) then develop the paper - if you see the outline of the object, then you either have a light leak or your safelight isn't.

4. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. gainer

gainer Subscriber

If you used a developer designed for paper and developed for 2 minutes, you should get a good black. Cut up a piece of paper for test strips. Throw one in the developer with room lights on. It's GOT to turn black in less than 2 minutes or there's something wrong with the developer.

Tell us what developer you are using for the paper.

6. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What f-stop do you have the lens set at? You need it fairly bright to expose the paper and I've found contact proof sheets always seem to take longer or need brighter light to expose it correctly.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A proof sheet shouldn't require any more light than any of the negatives would if they were in the enlarger, with the enlarger at the same height used for the proof sheet. That is, put an empty carrier in, adjust the height to produce an 8x10, focus the lens using the edge of the carrier. In this configuration, a proper exposure for the proof sheet will give you the proper exposure for an 8x10, or at least it should be very close.
    If you mostly do smaller prints, then you'd need to reduce the light some for the enlargement.
    As for the original problem, 1 1/2 minutes of exposure should be plenty, unless the enlarger produces very little light. I agree that a good first step would be a developer test using a completely fogged test sheet. If that works, then it would be helpful to know what enlarger, lens, etc. Especially if it has a color head. For example, in the case of a color head, what filtration is set, if any?

8. radiantdarkroom

radiantdarkroom Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Definitely need more info on what dec actually did. Grayness could be many things. But it sounds like the developer needs to be figured out. What paper are you using. what about just exposing the paper to room light and seeing what happens? I can't really help you without knowing more.

9. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Dec,

PM me your address and I will send you the ILFORD Photo MULTIGRADE printing manual, it helps when you are starting out.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

10. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And this is why we love Ilford.

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Declan. Are you aware that this is a repeat of your thread "darkroom problems." The problem here is that you now have two separate sets of answers to the same subject and you'll have to look at both. Better if the two were combined.

Moderators. Can you combine these for Declan?

pentaxuser