Darkroom counter hight

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by George Collier, Mar 25, 2005.

1. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are the general opinions as to counter hight, wet side and dry side? A local art school is building a new darkroom for multiple users, kids through adults and asked me what I thought for counter hight (there seems to be some difference of opinion among instructors.) Mine is 38" on the dry side and 41" wet counter (sink sunken 6" down). I don't know where I got these, prob'ly just stood there and decided, but works well for me.

Any opinions?

2. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The rule I've always heard for the wet side is that you should be able to lay the back of your hand down in the bottom of the sink without bending over. Obviously this doesn't help you since you're in a "community" situation, but it might give you a place to start.

3. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever doesn't hurt your back. I like the enlarger baseboard well off the ground (about 1m) for that reason.

David.

4. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a cabinet maker, I was told to have all sinks and work surfaces at a height which allows you to work without bending over (George's idea). A comfortable height for most situations is about 3' (1 m). This is a good starting point, but someone who is tall won't be as comfortable with this figure. In a multiple use room, no one will be happy, but that's the way it goes. tim

5. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At 6'7", I can tell you that I've never had (and probably never will have) a counter that's high enough for me. That's why my enlarger is on a table with a chair in front of it...I sit when I'm printing. (Besides...the up-and-down from the chair to the wet side is good exercise for my knees!)

6. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The average heighth of that mixed group is likely 5' 7''.
    I think with a shallow sink both sides should have
    counters of 34''. Dan

7. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    could just get lots of phone books for the lettle people!

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The wet and dry sides of my darkroom ar both at 33" - a fairly standard counter height. The wet side could go as high as 36", but that would make reaching the enlarger focus knob difficult on the dry side.

For a community darkroom, it would be nice to have adjustable countertops for the enlargers, but that would increase costs substantially.

9. Thomas Wagner

Thomas Wagner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear bifocals. So work height, especially trays and easel was important. So, I picked 38" as that was where my glasses worked best.

Tom

10. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I found out that 38" is a standard working counter height, in architecture design terms, like for kitchens, which is what my dry side is. (Lucky me) I like the idea someone contributed about laying the backside of the hand down while not bending over for the bottom of a shallow sink.
    Thank you all for your comments.