Darkroom flashlight?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Resoman, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Friends -

I used to have a little item made by JOBO, I think, which was a very small flashlight with an OC-type filter in the light path. I've misplaced it, and could really make use of it for changing filtration while printing on VC paper.

Does anyone still make such a darkroom flashlight at a reasonable price? I've looked for red LED keychain lights without success.

Thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I take an ordinary flashlight and put a cutout of a wratten 29 or 70 filter in the path. It makes a fine safe flashlight. At Kodak we had different flaslight covers for many different types of conditions. It is no big deal to make one. I have two.

PE

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just use a regular flashlight to which I have glued a red safety filter onto the lens. I run a university darkroom and I have it on the wall in case someone drops something on the floor, or if we lose power, or an earthquake visits us, etc.

Vaughn

PS...the red safety filter is the one that comes with variable contrast filter sets.

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I bought a nice little LED darkroom torch from RH Designs, a sponsor here. I love it..Evan Clarke

5. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many years ago I was given a large sheet of red acetate. I've made several darkroom flashlights by putting a small chip under the lens of an ordinary flashlight.

7. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a couple of sheets of a graphic arts material called rubylith for patching up or making up safelight filters. a small piece under the lens of a flashlight makes a fine "safe" flashlight. Just don't point it directly at unexposed paper at close distance. That practice may not be so safe.

9. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Astronomy shops sell them too, probably cheaper than Brookstone (a red light doesn't blow out your night vision as badly as other colours).

Plus, some stores handle both scopes and cameras, so you can walk in for a cheap LED light and be seduced by a few expensive lenses while you're there. :smile:

-NT

10. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i bought a flashlight with red and blue filter covers -who the hell knows what they were supposed to do for you besides diminish light output- but I soon enough took it into the darkroom and then decided to put red vinyl tape over the filter to darken it some more. Works great.

11. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/46072-recommended-darkroom-torch-2.html

Rosco and Lee make theater gels with the proper red filtration. You can buy a sheet from B&H for under $6 last time I looked. That's enough to cover a large number of flashlights. Don't have the exact passbands here at hand, you could find the correct filters at the Lee or Rosco websites.

Lee
    (Disclaimer: I don't make filters)

12. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Darkroom flashlight

Get a 2AA Maglite from your local purveyor then go to Radio Shack and get an ORANGE, AMBER or YELLOW T1 LED and replace the bulb in the Maglight. Total cost: less than 10 bucks. Bright enough to read by, safe enough to hold very close to the paper with no ill effects.