darkroom garage sale

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by RalphLambrecht, Apr 19, 2013.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    as some of you know, the local plumber killed my plans of having a new darkroom in central Florida; too expensive and major 'surgery' to a brand-new house; to save a marriage; it's all digital from now on; this leaves me with half a garage of redundant darkroom equipment. what better place than to offer it on APUG and have an electronic darkroom sale. the attached file is a zipped version of all the pictures i took of it. if you see something you need or want, just make a reasonable offer, and we'll take it from there. I'll ship to anywhere on this planet as long as you pay for it. if you don't see the zip file, it may have been to big, but Ican email it to you if you send a request to rlambrec@ymail.com.
    thanks for looking and keep 'real' photography alive for the rest of us.

Attached Files:

2. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much you want for the CPE?

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Email sent.

4. HTF III

HTF III Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    misplaced post

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph is arguably one of the most experienced film and darkroom photographers in the entire world. Try Googling his name. Almost everyone here has read his articles and purchased his book for their personal library. He has likely forgotten more about darkroom techniques than all of the rest of us ever knew—combined.

Oh, and there is no "disgust, filth, and stink, and disgrace" associated with creating prints on an inkjet printer. Or by any other method one chooses. It just happens to be off-topic here at APUG, that's all. However, it is quite on-topic over on the sister site at DPUG.

And there is nothing wrong with his thinking whatsoever...

Ken

6. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well said, Ken, and I totally agree. Also I can't help noticing a marked improvement in his keyboard ability following his fairly recent stroke, and that improvement makes me very happy for him.

7. HTF III

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had not known of Mr Lambrecht's health. I was pulling his leg about going digital. Best wishes, sir. And thank you for sharing your knowledge. Because of people like you on this site, I am totally re-vamping years of technique. Already starting to see some results.

8. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Deleted...

9. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ken, your post #5 needs to be read by many others in this forum and around the world. Please do not seek a way to delete it.

10. Dismayed

Dismayed Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I guess this means that I own the final version of "Way Beyond Monochrome". Great book. Good luck with your digital work. Hopefully you'll write the authoritative guide on digital printing in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/d5ffq32

11. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to second what Ken said in post #5. I've had FP5+ scanned and printed digitally on RA-4 paper, and the results, at least to me, are impressive. Best of wishes with your digital work.

I'm considering at least getting the basics for film developing instead of sending it all out to the lab, so I've sent you an email to see what is hiding in the zip file.

12. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be moving to Jacksonville this coming summer. Finding a home that will allow me to build in a darkroom (probably a bedroom that adjoins the garage and shares a wall with the water pipes....we'll see). I'd really hate to be unable to make 'wet' prints, but my wife will insist that we find a way to continue to do that, so at least there won't be a conflict on that issue.

Good luck with the lightroom, Ralph. A lot of excellent work is produced there. (Geez, even Clyde Butcher makes inkjet prints. I've seen some of them, and they are terrific!)

13. HTF III

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am trying to understand Mr. Lambrecht's enlarger height chart (thumbnail and link below). I had seen the man's name, but not who he is. NOW I know--he's the man. Ralph, you da man. Look at all the goodies on his site. Anyway, I'm not figuring out the height chart very well. I can't figure out why ther would be so many lines (curves, graphics) I get the horiz and vert axis, but not the rest of it. I'm an educated man, so anybody nudging me a little will make the light bulb in my brain flip on. This is going to be VERY useful. Thank you Mr. L.
    http://www.darkroomagic.com/DarkroomMagic/Darkroom.html
    Ooops, the thumbnail of the chard didn't copy, please go to the link and see enlarger height chart.

14. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    HTF III, an example is probably the best way to show you how the chart is used.
    Let's say you've made a satisfactory exposure at a particular enlarger height and want to now make a larger print from the same negative. Before you increase the enlarge height, measure the current easel-to-lens (lensboard is close enough) distance. This is read on the horizontal scale. Now raise the head as desired for the larger print and again measure this distance, which is read on the vertical scale. Then find where the two readings intersect in the family of curves and note which of the 'ray-lines' is closest to that intersection. That 'ray-line' tells you how many stops (or fraction of a stop) to increase the original exposure time. The 'ray-lines' range from 0 (no change) to 2 (two stops), with intermediate changes shown in increments of 1/6-stop.

This will get you close enough to the new exposure, but you'll likely want to do another test strip anyway at the higher head setting to fine-tune this result. As stated on the chart, paper reciprocity can affect this new exposure.

15. HTF III

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK. Thanks. Now that makes sense. It was all the curves (family of lines) that was throwing me. I would have pictures only 1. In other words. Mr Lambrecht had simply (not simply actually) brought a high degree of accuracy to the chart with this "family of lines". Thank you. Looks like a t-square and triangle is what I need to be using.