Darkroom magazine

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Linow, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Linow

Linow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am looking for a magazine about black & white photography and darkroom techniques.
    I have bin reading the UK magazine Black & White photography but it is to digital minded for me. :sad:

Are there other magazines and where/how do I get them???

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And http://www.lenswork.com/ for another.

Apart from the one you mentioned I don't know of another that attempts to cover darkroom work.

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Possible US Magazines:

“Photo Techniques” at www.phototechmag.com has both a regularly published magazine and an occasional special. The current special is about "Essential Lighting Techniques". The one before that was Bruce Barnham's darkroom techniques. Bruce is on the Large Format Forum and works as part of the team of: Richard Ritter (camera builder & repair), Bruce, Ted Harris (Contributing Editor for View Camera Magazine).

ViewCamera.com has many articles on darkroom work and materials.

Since these magazines devote only a portion of their monthly output to darkrooms, is it possible that a book on the subject, geared to your present level and above might better seve your need? There have been many threads here and at the LF Forum on books devoted to darkroom work.

John Powers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Avoid at all costs "Darkroom Magazine" you will be sorely disappointed, despite the title... :wink:

6. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    04 Nov 2007

Linow:

I will echo John. I have been a subscriber of PhotoTechniques for over 10 years, all of them good. The have slightly downsized the print version of the magazine by posting some material on the web. Lots of good ideas and most of the contributers are very "approachable" people.

Regards,
    Darwin

7. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That title makes about as much sense as calling a word-processing magazine "Calligraphy."

- Justin

8. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    re: Dave Miller Do you get these out of a shop or subscribe because ive havnt seen these in WHSmith or Borders etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I doubt that you will because they are both by subscription only.:sad:

10. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Borders sell Silvershotz. That's where I get it from anyhow.

11. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cheers, thats my next port of call

12. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bruce Barlow is the Bruce that works with Ritter and Harris. The three of them offer Fine Focus Workshops in VT and NH.

John

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My local Borders carries both Silvershotz and Lenswork. 40 mi. W.of Chicago

14. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dave, if you had to choose either Silvershotz or Lenswork, which would you go for? I've just received a sampler for Lenswork, and it looks great, but Silvershotz also seems to have additional stuff that I'd be interested in (the paper flasher test for instance)

What would you say are the relative merits (apart from cost difference for shipping!)?

Thanks

Paul

15. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I disagree with others about Photo Techniques Magazine. I let my subscription expire because they are so heavily weighted towards digital and what they do have about darkroom techniques is the same old stuff that has been done over and over again. There is never anything fresh. Oh, they have some esoteric technical stuff that is enough to bore someone to death although I can't imagine anyone actually getting anything from it.... charts and graphs made by people who don't actually do photography but rather like to test theories. I just wish there was a magazine that had the guts (and the subscribers) to devote itself, without apologies, to traditional film photography. Photo Techniques tries to be everything for everyone but ends up being very little for anyone. Save your money. LensWork, contrary to a recommendation here, has virtually nothing about darkroom techniques or technique at all with the minor exception of the darkroom tours in LensWork Extended, but even those are becoming more and more about the digital work-flow and they really don't get into technique in any depth anyway. But that's not LensWork's purpose anyway. They're "above" all that technical stuff! Their real purpose, besides showcasing some very fine photography, seems to be simply to give Brooks Jensen a platform to speak from... and speak he does... endlessly... and to showcase his own work and that of his friends.

16. Linow

Linow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for you help
    I will take a look at silvershotz.
    The home page looks good and promising

17. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    old editions of "Camera And Darkroom"? I got a stack off ebay but haven't gotten around to reading them

18. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree with Nige.... old editions of Camera & Darkroom were very good. You can probably find them on eBay.