Darkroom music

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by cliveh, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is there a particular type of music you like to play in the darkroom? I am quite fond of "The best of Erik Satie", as I have never heard music that is more relaxing.

2. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    been thinking about this today actually.

I LOVE opera - I am a huge romantic, BUT I have found, when working in the darkroom or making bromoil, I really enjoy listening to the piano concertos by Beethoven. Especiallt nr 4 and 5..

It's like it is pure - no "alternative motives" - no bull... Just the right amount of notes at all times...

(However, I find L. Cohen good for bromoil printing too!)

3. GuyS.

GuyS. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always have the Radio on, generally BBC Radio 6 Music, so you never really know what you are going to get. A Floyd track could easily be followed by some 70's disco or French accordion music.

4. GuyS.

GuyS. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ooooh L. Cohen; I love his stuff. Not sure I could listen to it too much in the dark room though, I'd end up selenium toning everything !

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My metronome keeps very good rhythm... :smile:
    When my darkroom CD player worked I would often play lots of Delta Blues, early recordings from the 1920s and 1930s. It was just the right mood for me. I'll have to fix that CD player.

6. BainDarret

BainDarret Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use to print my weddings listening to Bob Kerr's "Off The Record" on CBC Radio 2 back in the 80s and early 90s. He was very perceptive when it came to European Art music of the last few centuries. I learned a lot and became acquainted with many new composers by way of his programme. The time went so fast during those sessions.

http://www.bcradiohistory.com/Biographies/BobKerr.htm

7. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Generally some sort of Asian or Native American flute music. I also play a lot Asian string music as well as more meditative music. I particularly enjoy the Native American flute music when I am working on stuff from New Mexico. So far I have found these to be the most relaxing. However, I did listen to a lot of blues, jazz and swing music in the painting studio this Spring. Maybe it will work as well in the darkroom.

8. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Blind Boys of Alabama. Any deep delta, deep south gospel. Don't knock it till you try it...

9. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.Mainly two albums-Doc at the Radar Station or Bat Chain Puller.Makes time fly.

10. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I play pretty much any song by Rammstein when I am in printing or developing film (headphones + mp3 player). :smile:

11. psychfunk

psychfunk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have such a variety of music in my media player that I just take to the darkroom when I'm going.
    If it's a leisurely print I'm making, classical (Beethoven, Handel etc) or prog rock (mainly Genesis and Pink Floyd) will do.
    If it's a "get the job done" feel I'm after, anything with a beat turned up loud, like Tiesto will be just fine too.

12. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just throw my ipod on random and go to town...everything from jazz, punk, rock, hip-hop, folk....sometimes I print in silence when I need 100% concentration. I know a Print Master that loves music, but can't listen to it in the darkroom because even as a background, it's "too distracting".

13. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    An unexpected side effect of building a heavily-insulated darkroom in an outbuilding is that I can turn the music up LOUD and it's still barely audible outside so it doesn't annoy the neighbours or my wife :smile:

Normally the radio is tuned to either Planet Rock or BBC Radio 3. Looking forward to Proms season starting in a few days time. If it's CDs then I tend to favour nice long symphonies, Mahler a particular favourite, or prog rock concept albums. Something to accompany a nice long lith printing session.

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I find Calexico quite soothing in the darkroom. I just have it jamming out of my cell phone in my pocket so that it doesn't overwhelm the whole space. I would really like to get a good stereo in there, but other things must be worked on first...

16. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find Salmonella Dub works well except I have bad computer speakers in the darkroom; they have a horrible boomy (90Hz-resonant, high Q) woofer, and that's really bad for reggae. So usually it's Faith No More or Tool.

17. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually it's a dj set of deep house or minimal techno. Lately been working pretty frequently with Maceo Plex's recent Radio 1 Essential Mix.

18. HowardDvorin

HowardDvorin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Blue Grass. Del Mccoury, Blue Highway,Peter Rowan and others

19. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if it is good to have any distractions in the darkroom. We constantly see posts where people have reversed the order of developer and fixer or omitted a processing step. People think that they are good at multitasking when in reality they are not. I even read that one photographer had a TV in the darkroom with a red gel so he could watch it when making prints.

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the older rock & roll like the Rolling Stones, Savoy Brown, etc.

Jeff

21. spatz

spatz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i dont usually listen to music when im in the darkroom because i find silence the best for such contemplative processes. but if i do, i listen to music which best reflects the mood i want my work to reflect. for example if im making prints of a holiday i play the same music that i listened to during that holiday - to bring out those memories more vividly or inspire the same emotions.

22. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that was W. Eugene Smith. Must have really messed him up. :wink:

I couldn't stand to watch TV in the darkroom; in fact I can't stand it on in the background anywhere. Decades of living without cable or satellite, quite intentionally, has turned it into a severe irritant for me. I only have a TV to watch recorded or streamed movies, and certainly not in the darkroom.

But to each their own. I listen to jazz or blues most often. Sometimes it's on a CD but most often I put my iPhone on streaming WWOZ from New Orleans. I leave it just outside the darkroom plugged into an FM modulator, and pick up the signal on my darkroom boombox which has the display lights taped over. Works for me.

23. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a nice iPod dock under my plastic delta sink on a simple wooden board, the display lights are set to off, and I use a stack of exposed paper to block my iPhone screen when docked. I use the remote to change tracks. I listen to a pretty varied mix of rock, classic rock, alternative, folk, and indie. Audio books sometimes but often times I have to go rewind as I get caught up with the motions of the print. Music helps a lot, much better than silence and the enlarger clicking on, or the drone of a fan. Keeps you going too especially when printing until sunrise.

24. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll listen to nearly anything. If I'm trying to get something accomplished, I need something with a good beat to get me going. Some of the groups that get more play time than others: Dropkick Murphys, Evanescence, Basia, Enya, Clannad, Metallica, The Glengarry Bhoys, and of course, Jimmy Buffett. My CD player broke, so I plug an iPod into the aux inputs.

25. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So much music to chose from..... I took a photography course in the mid 70s from an old guy who put safe light filter film over his b&w TV so he could watch Charlie's Angles while developing film. Me, not so much for TV in the darkroom, but I do like just about anything classical, jazz and Laurie Anderson whom I never get tired of. Sometimes, just the sound of film or paper washing is nice and relaxing too.

26. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are a few others that just now came to mind:
    Tom Waits, JJ Grey and Mofro, Elvis Costello, R.E.M. early albums, Calexico, Yo La Tengo, Hindi Zahra, The American Analog Set, Alexi Murdoch, Beck, Mazzy Star, Modest Mouse, Neko Case, Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, and Richard Thompson.