Darkroom Open House

Discussion in 'New England' started by Steve Sherman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thirteen months after moving into a new home the Darkroom will be ready for use. Darkroom Open House is scheduled for April 15th from 1 - 4 PM in central Connecticut.

Please e mail me at steve@steve-sherman.com for an electronic invitation and directions.

Attached photos are several weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Steve
    Looks like you are getting ready to print, lots of room in this darkroom.
    Have fun.

3. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Us jealous ones just open up the images...and quietly X them out....hoping and praying for someday!

4. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just rationalize..."I wouldn't want a darkroom that big..." "I'd hate to have to keep all that stainless clean..." etc.

5. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Each Darkroom that I have had has been larger than the last, and none of them have been big enough. The current darkroom is 13x13 (although there is a lot of wasted space in a light trap), and I am seriously considering finishing a second room next to the main darkroom and moving some of the stuff out there - the big question is how to do the divide :smile:

Looks like a nice setup Steve - A couple of questions: Do you intend to keep the enlarger in the position where it is now? - it seems like a long way between enlarger and sink. My preference is to have a nice linear flow from Enlarger to wash (which I don't exactly have now).

How do you envision the division of labour between the two sinks? I currently have two sinks - a large and a small with the smaller one dedicated to washing. I am contemplating putting in a third, very small sink that would be used in the preparation of chemicals and as a dump sink for the Jobo Processor effluent.

6. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, sometimes it takes only one word to learn about our neighbors. Welcome to America Mark.

7. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Aargh - you caught me. I lived from age 8 until age 18 in a British Crown Colony - although that was 30 years ago, some habits are hard to break.

Now where did I leave that opium pipe?

8. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lucky you, Steve ! I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished article.

9. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)"

Descartes was in a restaurant when a waiter asked him if he'd like some absinthe to which Rene replied: "I think not.", and POOF....he disappeared!

10. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The footprint of the darkroom is 21 x 21ft. not counting the light trap to access the DR.

Speaking for myself, the 7ft. will be strictly for dev. film, the 10ft. sink will be for processing prints. There will be two 5x7 enlargers, one permanently mounted in the the corner, the one you see in photo is a movable 5x7 Durst that will be stored close to where you see it now. The third enlager is a 4x5 VC head which is immediately to the left side of the 10 ft. sink.

I don't enlarge much anymore and will contact print from a rolling island which will reside in the center of the room. On the other side of the wall common with the 10ft. sink is a UV room with a UV light source for Pt. Pd. and other alternative process requiring Ultra Violet light.

When workshops are in progress three different enlargers can be used by students and processing trays can be used at either end of the 10ft. sink and also in the 7ft. sink. In between the two sinks is a counter top which will hold a 20x24 print washer and a smaller 11x14 washer. Under that counter top are 24x30 drying screens.

You really don't realize how much you miss something until you don't have it for a while.

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had my darkroom opening already, me, my son and... well that's about it, not much more room. I remade it smaller rather than bigger. Yours looks like a photo school rather than a home darkroom. My wife says make it bigger but I like it the way it is, nice and cozy, sorry Scott (FC) there wasn't room for a big red lounging chair.

12. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's too bright to be a darkroom. Grin.

Congratulations.

13. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Darkroom Open House Getting Close

Time is getting near. April 15th 1 - 4 PM in Connecticut.

New pix one month later than the first.

PM me for invitation and directions.

Attached Files:

14. climbabout

climbabout Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Looking good!
    Tim

15. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait...is this a neapug event? Who's going to this "event" for the day?