Darkroom processing v cooking

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by cliveh, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I find cooking very similar to photographic processing, with the time/temperature and mixing being of similar importance. I was cooking a dish tonight using my favourite spatula, in the same way I have favourite tools in photographic processing. For instance I use barbeque tongs to process prints. Can others relate to this comparison, with perhaps their own favourite?

2. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually just made this exact comparison the other day in another thread...I definitely print like I cook...generally without a recipe and with a decent glass of red wine.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Chris, your post probably inspired my thread and I second the decent glass of red wine.

4. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, Some are Heston Blumenthal in the darkroom; while others have a more "caveman" approach ...

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey pdeeh

what is the caveman approach ?
    ( i'll have to google heston b too ) ..

john

6. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My cooking tends to be of the "bung it in the oven on hot and take it out when the smoke alarm sounds" school. If the smoke alarm goes off while I'm in the darkroom, something real bad has happened.

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tell people that if you can make Kraft Mach-n-Cheese you can process black and white film.

8. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cook only so that I don't starve or go broke by eating out. I much prefer the darkroom. Some of my better kitchen concoctions were a result of tossing stuff in a pan while drinking some wine, though. I just don't enjoy cooking.

9. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cooking to me is as therapeutic as printing if not more so...it also gives me a decent reason to call some friends around and have some good drinks and conversation. I love spending 2 or 3 hours, sometimes more on preparing a good meal with company, sampling each dish. When I had my apartment at school, my friends knew that coming over for dinner would be a 4 hour affair, at least...we did this numerous times a week. Everyone brought ingredients/wine/beer...the girls would talk and drink and make fun of us while my best friend and I would prepare each course.

What fun...

10. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe somebody should organize a poll on the relationship between those who stuck with or returned to analogue photography, and those who like to cook.
    I really enjoy both....

11. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same here. I love to cook. But like photography, I'm just not very good at it. Sunday I'm going to make a Chicken concoction inspired by Betty Crocker plus a fabulous Fennel and Craison wine vinegar salad. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

12. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    White wine goes better with developing film than the red wine. Any of the "Big Eight" will do ;o)

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I never mix liquor with darkroom work. But I am the most photographically knowledgeable foul-up you'll ever meet. I never poured in fixer first or anything like that. Just small. almost dyslexic, little simple foul-ups. "measure twice, cut once, re-measure, and re-cut" Then measure it again afterwards. If I don't work that way, then my work is probably worse than the lucky knucklehead who didn't know the first ting about it. Some people make straight A's and never crack a book. I'm the guy who has memorized the book and flunked anyway.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With darkroom alcohol is kept @ beer or 2 but in the kitchen with the black vessel that I am NOT allowed to look @ a draught of white seems to make the whole process that much more pleasant. Wine can/is used as stop on occasion.

16. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've often likened film photography to the 'slow food' movement which I understand to mean being careful with ingredients and enjoying the process with it's emphasis on time. I like to bake using sourdough and I see many parallels with film development and printing.

17. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Perhaps we should have a "favourite recipes" or "what I am cooking tonight" forum, because I too spend plenty of time in the kitchen!

18. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well you've have found out about HB and his molecular gastronomy by now, but as for caveman I was thinking along the lines of whack-a-mammoth-over-the-head-with-a-rock-then-spit-it-over-a-fire ... but then I read paul_c4x5's post and it sounds as if he has it nailed ...

19. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds of distant raspberries being blown. :tongue:

20. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second this idea. Part of why I don't like cooking is that I'm tired of everything I know how to cook. I need some new (and easy) ideas. I also now live somewhere where I can only get the basics. I picked on western PA for being very "meat and potatoes", but this area is even more so. Not being able to get good seafood is exasperating.

21. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have, thanks !
    i understand now what you meant thanks for the explanation :smile:

=====
    i cook for 5+ pretty much every night ...
    i sometimes like cooking over the top, and sometimes like plain and simple ...
    like with my photography, i would rather color outside the lines ....

lately ive been making citrus-cooked scallop, clam pizzas ..

22. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The idea by mr rusty – Perhaps we should have a "favourite recipes" or "what I am cooking tonight" forum and seconded by winger is not a bad idea. If we got enough recipes, we could make it into the APUG International Photographers Cookbook. It could also show some good food photography to go along with individual recipes.
    Perhaps someone can suggest what forum to put this in?

23. David Lindquist

David Lindquist Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When ever I make pie crust it makes me think of making D 23. Both have but three ingredients: flour, shortening and water vs Metol, sodium sulfite and water. Two simple recipes, two useful products.
    David

24. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it has been attempted to have a food related forum but it usually dies ..

maybe in the "groups" area

25. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both cooking and photography are applied chemistry.

26. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format