Darkroom tents

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by paul_c5x4, May 4, 2010.

1. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Been looking at these tripod tents and wondering if they are any better than some of the other offerings out there. Comments anyone ?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont think I'd like to be constrained by the t-pod legs. Would you have to grovel aroung on the ground to use it, or have to pick up the entire unit to use off the ground? IMHO- a regular changing bag or small tent would be more convenient. I can't see myself laying down on the ground (on whatever surface in the field)to utilize this, indoors would still be a PITA . Thinking about t-pod legs, messing around under the legs would run the risk of knocking the set-up off-kilter. I give this product a thumbs down.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's shithouse quite frankly. Just buy a changing bag for a quarter of the price.

4. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a Harrison changing tent. It allows you to have a bit of space around you. I really does help keeps the dust off, I feel.
    Pat

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May be OK however, if using on a table the tripod legs enlarges the footprint area needed. Better to have a Harrison tent and be done with it.

6. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Paul, I have a Harrison Tent (10x8 size) and would recommend one to anybody (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1897&PT_ID=454)

I find changing/re-loading Darkslides to be a challenging operation to do correctly without having to get down on my knees and bending over to do so (personally I'm not sure either my knees or back would appreciate the abuse)

Plus, not at all convinced I would want to be doing something at ground level which requires such high levels of cleanliness.

Of course you could put your tripod on a table and do it from the sitting position - but if you’re away from home I think the table owner might suffer a serious loss to their sense of humour if they caught you

There are alternative & cheaper changing tent options to the Harrison devices - https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=663

Just my $0.02

Martin :smile:

7. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am discouraged from bidding on any ebay item with such poor grammar in the description. They always remind me of those emails sent from Nigeria promising to pay me a large fee for helping someone claim a fortune.

8. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was originally looking at this particular tent because it would pack down fairly small - An important consideration when backpacking with LF. Having looked at the weight of the Photoflex and compared it to the Camulet offering, I need to do some more homework.
    Next time I'm in London, I will visit Camulet and see how small their version packs down to. The Harrison tents, nice thought they appear to be, are just too expensive.

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Photoflex but find it a PITA to set up. Internal rods or hoops and the instructions are about useless. Maybe just me but one of these days I am going to sell it without ever using it. I have gone on the the Harrison and its easy as pie to set up.

In that regard, maybe the tripod one has merit if the Harrison is to expensive.

10. David_A

David_A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take a look on Ebay for item number 300424060650 it's a Harrison Film Changing Tent.

Might be more in a price range you might be happier with.

David

11. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Photoflex changing bag and love it - once you get the knack of setting it up it takes 5 seconds, and there's plenty of room to load a 5 reel film tank or 8x10 double dark slide..

I wonder if Badger Graphics will ship to Australia - for that price I should pick up a spare......

12. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Option #3 = Make your own.... it's not difficult. Find a couple small diameter rods that break down - tent rods of small diameter. Then look at one of these closely and sew your own. An old changing bag can be modified simply by putting a couple loops on the outside. Yes, you need to make sure it's light tight at the seams where you sew - that's what Gaffers Tape is for.