Darn people...making me want things...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Stephanie Brim, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On RFF, right at this moment, there is a thread about the CV 75/2.5 Color-Heliar. This lens appears to be a solid performer. I also think it would be a good compliment to my J-12. Of course, this means that any M camera that I buy should have 75mm framelines...which gives me two options even remotely in the pricerange I was hoping for: an M4-P or an M6. This really blows, however, because I could have gotten away much cheaper with an M2.

Or, of course, I could do the even cheaper thing and just buy the lens for use on my Canon P and either guess the framing or buy an accessory finder. If I do this, I may as well replace my Russian glass with CV glass and just spend the $1000 I had planned early next year on a 35mm Ultron, 50mm Nokton, and the 75mm Heliar.

Just thought I'd rant a bit. You're welcome to make me want it more or less.

2. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a case ..a rare one..of a woman not knowing her own mind. She does not really want this stuff at all.

She just thinks she does.

3. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Continue, Claire...perhaps you're on to something. :D

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe FrankG will give you a hand in explaining a bit further, Claire. He not only knows how people think/act, but he's quite well read (and opinionated) on camera equipment.

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought the CV 75mm Color Heliar was a Leica screw mount?

(I am in the process of buying the Bessa R3M Special anniversary kit with Heliar F2 collapsible 50mm, so have been investigating lens options, so far an Apo Lanthar 90mm is on the cards).

6. desertrat

desertrat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I could play the role of Frank's evil alter ego. Stephanie, you already have a couple of Russian lenses. The Jupiter-9 is only a little longer than the Heliar, and think of the money you could save. Even after you buy the KMZ turret finder, you have still saved a lot of money. Of course, the Jupiter you get could be stiff focusing or not properly adjusted for infinity, but Oleg Khalyavin can easily fix that and you've still saved a lot of money. I humbly admit that a J-9 cannot match the performance of a Heliar, especially under difficult lighting conditions. But under more favorable conditions, a good one can do pretty well. For instance, I had been led to believe that J-9s are very soft wide open. Dante Stella has an inset of a 30x enlargement from an image taken with this lens wide open.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

Looks pretty impressive to me, but I must admit I've never seen a similar enlargement taken with a modern lens for comparison. The J-9 and turret finder might look right at home on your Canon. 'Course, not everyone likes the looks of these things.

Just playing Devil's Advocate,

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a screwmount. Adapters are available (from Gandy, actually), so there are no problems. :smile:

I actually emailed him about a lens that I may go for if I can sell a few other things and get the cash to put behind it otherwise...

But anyway, about the J-9. I love it. I really do. But sometimes it seems a bit too long. I'd still keep it even if I got the 75mm, but I may end up selling it later if I find that the 75mm fits my needs better. It isn't a matter of the lens being bad, but more that I find myself wanting something just a tad wider. And thanks for playing Devil's Advocate. :smile:

8. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would think threre would be more benefit from getting a 90mm lens on a RF than a 75mm if you were getting a 50mm in your kit. You can grab an old Leica/Leitz lens (90mm F4) for about a couple of hundered USD, which is what I've been in search for a little while.

9. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was my thinking too.
    When I go for a wider lens it will most likely be a 28/1.9 Aspherical Ultron because I think 40mm and 35mm are too close to 50mm to warrant the extra expense.

10. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think I paid about $60 for a 90mm Elmar, and about half that for a 135mm Hektor. Along with a selection of Russian 50mm's and a 58mm, and a CV 21mm Color-Skopar, I'm fairly well set for lenses. That doesn't mean that I don't want a 75mm Color-Heliar, and a 90mm Apo-Lanthar, and - and - and...

But I realise I can do without. At least for a while. Maybe until I run out of new LF focal lengths, which come to think of it has already happened...

11. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sounds to me like a case of "gear head"dom.

try something different ...

pick one camera, one lens, one film, one developer, one paper, one paper developer, and shoot/print with only it for a year.

or just continue collecting gear with a closet full of lenses/cameras/etc and rarely use any of them.

just a thought

12. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you are already using a Canon P and a bunch of screw-mounts, why not pick up a Bessa-R, which does have 75mm framelines?

13. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All right. Here is what you relly want to do. You want to buy film and paper and wear your Canon out while making your own special photographs that only you can take.

The world will thank you for doing so.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait...what????????

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

and a very good thought at that ...

17. Kensey

Kensey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same lens but with a Nikon F mount...

18. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aw hell it is just 35mm format, go for the gusto and get medium format RF. Remember bigger is better or so the guys say.

19. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stephanie,

Knowing your as I do, I'd suggest that it's time to leave the gearhead-envy of RFF behind and concentrate on your photography.

Most of those folks will never be happy no matter what is in their kit.

As Aggie suggests, better you experience a new format altoghether than just go on a gear chase.

20. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephanie, just use what you've got for heaven's sake! :smile:

21. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, hello Frank S.

Hail, hail the gang's all (getting) here!

I see you're a member since 12/02. How come you haven't subscribed yet and helped support the site?

22. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi George. Same old grindstone? I don't come here much so I choose not to make a financial contribution. I thought the topic of this thread was Stephanie's desire for a lens. Lose the baggage and you'll be a happier person.

23. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's not a "grindstone", frank. It's known as paying your fair share. You don't pay here, you don't pay there.

Where do you pay?

Over the past few days, since Stephanie has showed up here, we get you folk all coming to visit. Why not stay a spell and, BTW, chip in for the beer money?

24. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I pay where I choose to pay, George. You're still off topic.

25. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Off topic, frank?

Oh, are you and back_alley in charge here now, too?

Reality is, frank, you RFF'ers have been flocking here since Stephanie started posting a week or so ago.

Like bees to honey!

How's that for topic, frank?

APUG's RF forum was the deadest doornail on the planet up to a couple of weeks ago.

Why are all you folk all of a sudden coming around?

26. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank-G, where are you... the poo is here too!!