Darn you people, how do you do it, or: In need of 5X7"

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Soeren, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok you got me. I fought, I resisted but finally the LF bug cought up with me.
    I have read some of the previous threads and have decided on a 5"X7" although a Graphic also could be fun to try.
    On E-bay (US) there is two B&J 5X7 from the same seller :surprised: I have been told they don't have front tilt so I'm not sure about those.
    On E-bay (D) there is a Sinar Norma (I think) 5X7 but according to seller its in bad shape so........
    So where are all the great cheap 5X7 you all talk about?? :smile:
    DBA in Denmark only a couple of 4X5 and they are a bit expensive.
    My Photopusher are almost exclusive 4X5 too and they are really robbing you of.
    So any suggestions, webaddresses or lowpriced 5X7 out there?
    Cheers
    Søren

2. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to consider something very old. Mine is a 5x7 Century, built around 1902. Other than the uncoated lens, it's still pretty current.

3. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Phil Woodney

Phil Woodney Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a very nice 1960's Plaubel 5x7 monorail in June on the German ebay site. Might be worth a look at one of these. They are heavy but mine seems to be of very high quality. Prices are not bad, either.

Phil

5. Phil Woodney

Phil Woodney Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, mine cost 151 euros with an extra lensboard and some 13x18 cm holders.

Phil

6. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats what I'm talking about :tongue:
    So it all about patience, eh?

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Often there is an Ansco or a B&J. Just check and make sure it's got a 5x7 back. Some times they're sold with 4x5 backs. The Ansco normally can't lose it's rear rail but I think the B&J can be removed. Some body will correct that. So check that the rear rail is there.

8. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the B&J's are the same 2 I saw, they should have front tilt...I have one and it does. These tend to be a little different, because they focus by moving the back..but I still love mine. Then there is the Eastman No.1 that really is a beauty (could use a new bellows) but the gears are smmmooootthh!! It has a date stamped on the inside of the back - 1902. Did not pay over $150 USD for either one, but without lens.

Bonus for me was the B&J lens boards work on the 8x10 Korona...go for it, you will love the 5x7 - just remember the signature below :surprised:

9. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Soren, PM me if you need a shipping address in the US. We Dane's need to stick together.
    Can you get 5x7 film in DK?

jan

10. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes through FotoImpex in Germany
    Thanks Jan
    Cheers
    Søren

11. mark

mark Member

I have a Kodak 2d and really like using it. I honestly have not missed the front tilt.

12. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    another source is to PM Jim Galli. I bet he has some 5x7's siting around.

13. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the Norma.

A 5x7 is a thing of beauty. I shoot with a 5x7 Sinar Norma (see my avatar) and I love the camera. What is wrong with the Norma? You will find it easy to get replacement parts -- there are guys out there who trade in Norma parts, and many parts are interchangeable with the current Sinar P view cameras. If it's the bellows that shot, you can get a replacement bellows made for under US$300 from camerabellows.com in the UK. They made me a new bellows for my Norma -- quality is tops and they delivered from the UK to New York in less than two weeks. Sanders

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Sinar on German Ebay has some issues with the bellow the one spirit level that is still on is dried out, rust on painted areas and a groundglass that looks as if it has seen better days. I don't mind the camera looks old and used but abuse is another case. It might be easy to get parts for the camera but I'd rather go with a user than a restoration project. I must say though that Sinar Norma looks interesting and if anyone have one to sell low priced (Jim Gali??) I'm "game". Hmm sometimes I feel the need of an english teacher here :smile:
    Aggie, do you think Jim is willing to sell out? :tongue:
    Cheers
    Søren

16. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark What do you use yours for (subjects)?
    Cheers
    Søren

17. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will love 5x7, I have just a few weeks using 5x7, but know I understand why so many like it. Contact print size is just right for some images.
    Personally I wouldn`t even consider a camera without front tilt though..

18. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Søren (and Amund), the need for front tilt is somewhat overrated IMO.

As it happens I have two 5x7" (and will continue to have both, thank you :smile:): One Gandolfi Traditional, and one antique German 13x18cm plate camera.

The old German has only front rise/fall and shift by way of sliding the lensboard around. The back has about 10 degrees of tilt and swing. In the vast majority of cases this is more than enough! Of course I can't do the "opposite tilt looks-like-toys-effect" with this camera, but it has other advantages. Like being sturdy enough to carry a 740mm f:8 Aplanat - and focus it to about 2m distance.
    I'm not recommending a German Antique, nor a "newer" Russian copy of them. The special 13x18cm glass plate holders are a pain, especially if you can't use 5x7" film inserts in them. I have three holders, one of which refuses to work with 5x7" inserts. The other two work fine, but I can never remember in time which one's the difficult one!

19. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problems you mention are easy and cheap to fix. I already gave you the source for a new bellows -- camerabellows.com has the template in stock and can make one for you in a matter of days for a reasonable cost. As for ground glass, Satin Snow makes a good glass inexpensively, last time I checked, or else buy one from Dagor77 on eBay. The spirit levels can be bought new from Sinar, if they matter to you. (I never use mine.) The rust is probably a cosmetic issue only.

I understand your concern about a "restoration project," but none of these fixes is remotely difficult or time-consuming. Of course, you need to do the math and see if the investment makes sense when all is fixed. But I wouldn't write the Norma off for the reasons you've raised.

Sanders.

20. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There's another one on ebay.de which is a little more difficult to find - here. Note that the description says "9x12-12x16.5". You have to know that the film holders for 12x16.5 are the same external size as those for 5x7" and 13x18cm, and then look closer at the picture of the larger of the two backs.

There's a nice array of lenses there, too... Symmars 180, 210 and 240; 2x 90mm f:8 Super Angulon (!?), and a 300mm Eurynar. Not bad at all.

21. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Soeren,

5x7 cameras come and go on the bay and patients is what will be required of you.

I waited and waited for just the right camera to come along... and it did! I ended up with a restored Deardorff 5x7 / 4x5 camera with the reducing back. And, the pricing was quite reasonable too.

Then, they disappeared and I've only seen the odd one pop up on the block in the last year or so.

So, be patient... you'll come across just the right camera at just the right time. :smile:

Good luck

Cheers

23. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    B&J made several types of cameras. The Rembrandt model was for studio use, and had rear movements, but no front movements. My 5x7 B&J flatbed and B&J Saturn monorail models have tilt and swing on both front and back. Nick is right about the extension bed sometimes missing from B&J flatbeds. I've also seen tripod mounting blocks missing from monorail cameras.

24. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would not consider a camera without front tilt. It is the single most important movement of a landscape photographer. It is even more important for table top or still life photography. Rear tilt will not take the place of front tilt since they have different effects.

You just need to be patient. I am looking for 5X7 myself but I want something more current like a Canham.

25. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Donald,

I had a chance to look at the Canham 5x7 at the Per Volquartz workshop in Vancouver last weekend.

Rob Skeoch (http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp) brought it with him and it's pretty nice.

It's a beauty and you can also buy the 4x5 reducing back for it... 2 formats using one camera.

Did I say "it's pretty nice!" :smile:

And FWIW... I wouldn't buy a camera without front tilts either. But, that's just moi! :smile:

Cheers

26. Frank R

Frank R Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an Improved Seneca View Camera in 5x7 that needs a new bellows that I am willing to sell at a real reasonable price. Send me an email if you are interested. I can send you pictures.

The bellows might be able to be re-lined by splitting them open and glueing a new liner on the inside and then folding them up again. Could save you alot of money over new bellows.

I also have some 5x7 wood film holders.