Data for Ilford MG 500 HLZ enlarger head

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by CCOS, Aug 13, 2009.

1. CCOS

CCOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Getting my new( old) enlarger this weekend, I found out that it have a HLZ heda for Ilford on it, not just a normal 500 H head but a HLZ.
    The enlarger is a Leitz IC with this Ilford Multigrade 500 HLZ head on, any of you got som data on that head? I'm told it uses 80W bulb but can,t find anything about it.

Jesper

eager to try this new thing...

2. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is an HLZ?

3. CCOS

CCOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well should be at special version for som small enlarger, getteing it on sunday then I can post some pictures.

Jesper

4. DAP

DAP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The HLZ is basically an ilford 500 head that was dedicated to the Focomat Ic. The bulbs are indeed 80 watt. The physical dimensions are quite a bit smaller than a regular "H" head and it does not have a cooling fan built in (probably one of the reasons that they went w/ lower wattage bulbs). Packaged together with the IC frame/chassis it makes a great 35mm enlarger (it is pretty hard to beat). The only questionable item is the Ilford adapter used to attach it to the enlarger chassis - it is made of flimsy plastic (I doubt that it would ever break in normal use, but it is pretty cheesy).

5. Thierry

Thierry Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Would it be possible to post a picture of the head please?
    Just out of interest, I have never seen one of these before

6. CCOS

CCOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford MG 500HLZ pictures

Finaly I got it home and put up, eager to work with it.
    Shot some pictures of it.

Jesper

Attached Files:

7. Thierry

Thierry Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello Jesper, that looks fine! I didn't know a head like this was made, thanks for the pictures.
    Indeed without ventilationfans as DAP said. That's not bad you know, one of my MG500-heads develloped an unbalance, and that means vibrations.
    Enjoy the beautiful enlarger :smile:

Thierry

8. DAP

DAP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Jesper, Congrats on the purchase. These seem to be really hard to find (MUCH harder to find than the regular 500h head - I assume that they didn't make that many of the HLZs) so you did good! I actually have two of these...they fall into the "pry from my cold dead hands" category. I would argue that the focomat 1c with the HLZ head might be one of the most user friendly B+W 35mm format enlargers you will ever find. Enjoy!