David Bailey's Queen portrait.

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by xtolsniffer, Apr 24, 2014.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on David Bailey's recent queen portrait, whether it was taken on film or not? I haven't been able to find anything via Google. I really like it, though I know others most certainly do not.

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On Google I see pictures with Hasselblad black frame, so I would guess it if on film.

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder what Bailey said to her to get that smile:wink:

Put me on the 'like' list (even if I prefer royals minus their heads)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  4. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's interesting that many commentators suggest it's in the 'instagram style' which would be ironic if it was taken on film given that instagram takes digital images and imposes a film look, in which case you could argue that instagram is actually 'Bailey Style' :wink:

5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bet many young people are sure that square format was invented by instagram :smile:

6. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have no idea what an instagram is. Probably better that way.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I doubt Bailey would have used anything but film.

Great work, also. I could not imagine a more difficult subject than the most iconc royalty of our age. To capture a truly human and engaging photo of ERII is the true mark of a master.

I am also a monarchist, but that is a different discussion.

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a very, very, very good portrait of the Queen, very likeable indeed. I initially thought it was an Annie Libovitz shot. Whether it was made on film or digital is of no real consequence. I'm not a fan of royalty (there's a couple of them wandering around Australia all-expenses-paid at the moment) but the portrait has many qualities that easily speak of a photographer fully at ease with his subject, but also able to communicate with her to achieve an end. Annie Libovitz is another who is able to get that rarely-seen fun element to come from the Queen.

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Both David Bailey and Annie Leibovitz are very good portrait photographers. But I think her style is quite different, very meticulously arranged and composed.

Bailey's style is more relaxed. Apparently, he spends much more time chatting and drinking tea with his subject, than actually photographing them. A great technique to make people feel relaxed and open up to the camera.

He also likes to crack jokes on the cruder end of the scale. Who knows what he said to make the Queen laugh?

11. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a lovely documentary about him on British television a few years back, he was just taking pictures on a Leica as he walked around East London. He had a real knack of just talking to anyone to then getting them to pose in a really comfortable way for lovely portraits. I hope the picture of the Queen was done on film, but it doesn't really matter, it's a great shot.

12. Claudia Moroni

Claudia Moroni Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly, it should be film. My friend is his second assistant and she once told me that he shoots all black and white photos on film and he only uses digital for colour. I can ask her to confirm if it was the case this time as she was assisting on that shoot. I'm sure he does still shoot tons of film because she often tells me how difficult is to keep up with his shooting while loading cameras.

13. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, now that really is inside information! I'd love to know what he was using!

14. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bailey is known to be a Kodak man and has professed his love for Tri-X on several occasions.