Day out in London - Secondhand camera store locations wanted!

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Steve Smith, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will be in London for most of Friday (30/1/09).

Please let me know of any secondhand camera stores in the (vaguely) central area.

I know about Nicholas in Camden and will be visiting there (even though they were closed last time I went!) and I will be going to Aperture (for lunch as it is a café as well). I have also found Camera City just round the corner from Aperture.

I would like to know of any similar shops - not more than a couple of miles from central London as I will be on foot. I don't really want to use the underground unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks.

Steve.

2. mpirie

mpirie Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Steve,

Just along Oxford Street (towards Regent Street) is Jacobs Photo.....they have a large selection of used kit at the rear of the store.

Teamwork is just up Regent Street past the BBC too.

When you've had your lunch, come out of Aperture, turn right and then right again. There's a small shop at the end of the street on the left selling lots of unusual photographic items. And there's a Canon dealer just a little further on again to the left.

All discovered by accident !

Mike

3. Anton Lukoszevieze

Anton Lukoszevieze Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    don't bother going to Nicholas they are useless and a bunch of tossers :smile:

4. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Harry is right. Plus, they haven't updated their website in two years, and they rely on their own adverts in AP to tell them the prices of their stock.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's what I thought last time when they were closed! I think I will still wander into Camden though.

Steve.

6. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What sort of things are you looking for? Central London is not great for second hand any more - most places have closed in the last few years alas.

Teamwork has large format. Jacobs. Kingsley on Tottenham Ct Road.

Otherwise you can go to Silverprint and get some film and paper!

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not really looking for anything. I thought I would just have a day looking round camera shops, guitar shops and a few galleries.

Steve.

8. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you could swing it, a trip to Silverprint might be in order to see Martin and crew :smile: Not exactly a used camera store, but a cool place nonetheless. You might have to take a train though

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a bad idea. And still within walking distance for me. I think I will plan a circular route for the day. Hope it doesn't rain :sad:

EDIT Hey... My first use of a smiley face.... except it isn't smiling!

Steve.

10. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve,

The great thing in London is that there is always a plan B available right at the corner when it starts raining.
    Silverprint is definitely walking distance from Kingsley / Tottenham Ct Road. Camden would be a hike. I'd circle in the second hand camera shops around the British museum, then Tottenham ct rd. Jacobs still has a display of second hand film cameras although it is emptying fast-ish without being refilled.
    Walking to Silverprint is a great walk... you cross the Thames, South bank at the corner, if it rains, there is a passage going towards Waterloo station and from there Silverprint is may be 10 mins walk. It closes at noon on Saturday.

As already said, you might be a little disappointed by the second hand camera shops. Photographica might be of interest, and the occasion to come back to London.
    http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/Photographica 01.htm

Best

Delphine

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all of your advice. Time to start looking at maps.

It's all walking distance to me! I've done Waterloo to Camden and back before and I have all day to spare this time. My friends who live in London are always surprised at the distances I walk which don't really seem that great to me. If it was out in the countryside instead of a city, it would be considered a short leisurely hike!

Definitely going to go to Aperture for lunch again. What a great combination. Camera store and Café in the same building!

Steve.

12. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is Steve, but the days are short at this season .. there is just so much you would be able to squeeze in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  13. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the rare occasions that I visit London (last time being probably five years ago) I always prefer, like Steve, to walk everywhere. There's always something interesting to see or a shop full of odd things to look around (and I don't mean the ones where everything comes in a plain wrapper!) that are missed if travelling by the underground. Being a hayseed, though, a day is the most I can stand and by then I'm at screaming pitch with the constant traffic and noise. Have a good day in the Big Smoke!

Steve

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Same here. I think one day will be more than enough. In the 1980's and 1990s taxi brakes squealing used to get on my nerves. They don't seem so bad now.

The first few times I went to London I used to use the underground to get everywhere. Then I visited a friend who lived there and all the places we went to which I used to use the tube for were now just around the corner from the last place.

Now I print off bits of maps (from Google maps) of the places I want to go to and walk. I expect I will do about six miles on Friday.

Steve.

15. Brian Jeffery

Brian Jeffery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, two obvious points of interest are Classic cameras which is a few minutes walk from Aperture and Red Dot Cameras which is a bit further a field but well worth a visit. Whilst you are there I would recommend popping in to the Artillery Arms as it serves a lovely pint.

If you go to Silverprint, I would also recommend popping into Borough Market which is not only a great photo opportunity, but a great place to visit.

Brian

Brian

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    O.K. Just looked that up.

I could do Silverprint then the Tate Modern followed by the market (assuming you meant the one on Soutwark Street).

That's another section of map printed out.

Steve.

17. Brian Jeffery

Brian Jeffery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve, here's the Borough Market web site. If you get there at lunch time you'll have no problem getting something to eat. It's just across the road from London Bridge station so you want you can train or tube from there.

Brian

18. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah you'll just have to stand in line forever :rolleyes: Seriously, Lunchtime is way too busy even on a Friday... if you can stand it, wait to have a late lunch there, after 1-1:30pm, it settles down a little. I love the hot roast pork baguette (with apple sauce and stuffing).

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will probably have lunch at Aperture and just visit the market.

You can't tempt me with that. I don't eat meat!

Steve.

20. Windscale

Windscale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Make an appointment to visit these people. They do have some good stuff from time to time at more resaonable prices than the British Museum shops. Or check their website first to see if anything might interest you.

http://www.mwclassic.com/

21. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That might be a possibility. I'm meeting a friend in Hackney for breakfast then I'm going to go to Camden then go south into central London. M W Classic is half way between Hackney and Camden so I will be walking past it anyway.

They sound familiar actually. I'm sure I bought something from them last year. I can't remember what though.

Steve.