DDX vs Tmax developer vs Xtol for TMZ 3200

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by haziz, Oct 25, 2007.

1. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which developer would you use for developing Tmax 3200 (TMZ)? I have DDX and Xtol on hand and can get fairly easily Tmax developer (I actually have an unopened bottle but it is beyond it's "expiration" date)?

Film was shot at EI 1600.

Also which developer would you use for Delta 3200 (EI 1600)? I was leaning towards the DDX figuring Ilford knows best about it's film.

BTW what is the shelf life of unopened DDX and Tmax developer? Both bottles (unopened) have been sitting on my shelf for 2 1/2 years. I have used opened bottles of DDX in the past beyond a year of opening them with good results.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jasparks

jasparks Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find Tmax or Tmax RS works much better for Delta 3200 than anything else I've tried (and I've tried lots of things). It gives more real speed than anything else and the grain is reasonable. The real reason I use this combination is that it gives a contrast kick to the highlights that I think Delta 3200 really needs. Otherwise, I find Delta 3200 highlights to be very flat and lifeless. I also like Tmax 3200 in Tmax developer, but I don't find it as picky as the Delta film.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    DDX gives about +1/3 stop over Extol in true ISO speed. I've found it excellent for Delta 3200 and now use nothing else.

*Probably* (I rate it no higher) a 30-month-old bottle of unopended DDX should be OK. Like you I've had it last 12-18 months after opening.

Cheers,

R.