De sensitizing film rather than Hyper sensitizing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Stephen Frizza, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am curious is there an opposite to hyper sensitizing film? Is there a treatment that can be done to a film to reduce its speed without effecting its normal characteristics. ( I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ND FILTERS OR PULLING FILM)

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting question. When you talk about hyper-sensitizing film, are you referring to techniques used by astronomers and such to reduce reciprocity failure? (http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/FILM/HYPERING.HTM)

Other than aging it somehow, I'm not sure I have any advice. What do you have in mind? Although you're just curious, there has to be something that sparked this idea, eh?

Cheers

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use a PPD developer, they can knock film speed down by 2-4 stops particularly if no other dev agent is used.

p-Phenylenediamine / para-Phenylenediamine is a weak colour developing agent used in ultra fine grain developers, it was used on it's own in Sease 1 and with Glycin in Sease 2, 3 & 4 or in equal molecular parts with Pyrocatechin to form Meritol in Johnsons developers.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010