De Vere 303?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jimper, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jimper

jimper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe I have a De Vere 303 Professional, though I haven't managed to check the number on my way through the garage recently.
    I bought it about 15 years ago second hand, and used it to print some family 6X9 negatives from the 1930's.
    Now I'm getting into film photography again I'd like to know more about it.
    Does anyone have any knowledge?

Jim

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a 203 :D

Excellent enlargers
    built like a Rolls Royce, it's the baby brother of my 5108 (10"x8") enlarger. You can't find better.

Ian

3. jimper

jimper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ian, it's much older than the 203 I think. Same structure, but the head is about 50 years earlier, I guess. I'll have to get a photo of it.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the older enlarger. (One on the right). But if your's has a condeser head it makes it look older than you think.

If it's a geared column more like a Durst or the current De Vere's it's a 203, however if it's tubular column it's the much older model, they changed mid 60's I think. I had a 54a built originally for the navy.

Ian

5. jimper

jimper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's more like it! But mine has two columns and a chain between them.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They changed the system on the older 54's so may well have done the same with the smaller version, I have two De Vere adverts 1954 & 61 here on the desk but the small enlarger's not listed. They weren't as common as the 54's.

Ian

7. jimper

jimper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a De Vere 302 Professional with a Vericon 32 condensor. Has anyone heard of it?

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An APUG member has one with a colour head, John Roberts.

De Vere had big government contracts supplying the Army, Navy & Airforce, but the 54/54a was much more common. You'd probably find more details in a BJP advert from the 50's/60's, the company was the major UK producer of professional enlargers. There's also a Varycon head for the 54/54a you alter the position to suit the format being used.

Ian

9. jimper

jimper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian

Jim

10. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a 302 cold light enlarger when I lived in England. It was the bench mount with the head and focus controlled via the two wheels on the front just below the table. It was a solid performer, but you need a stabilized power supply to get best use out of it. Not tried the condenser version.

A.

11. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I have a De Vere 302 as stated but it has a cold cathode head as Andrew describes. I have found that the best way to use it without power stabilisation is to leave it on for the printing session. I have had no problem with print inconsistency using this method only make sure that there are no light leaks around the head without blocking off the air vents. Problem with the cold light source is the price of replacement lamp, Odessey wanted over £200, but I have a spare and I believe the existing lamp is the original.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Regards,
    John.