De vere Lamp Help Please

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by lifethrualens, Jan 10, 2009.

1. lifethrualens

lifethrualens Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi im new on here

i have just got a dever 504 and not long after setup the bulb went (it was used), so i replaced it, and after 3 days its gone again, this time it has shattered on the neck where you plug it in, is it just a bad bulb, or do i have a problem

thanks all

lee

2. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My guess is, either the ceramic bulb holder is badly corroded, or your power supply voltage is over 24VDC. If you have a voltmeter measure the volts across the illuminated bulb. Be careful they get very hot.

ps Welcome to apug Lee.

3. lifethrualens

lifethrualens Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    is there a convertor or something i can buy to control the voltage or do i need a new power supply, thats if it is the voltage of course

4. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the voltage is wrong, you will have to get someone to repair/adjust the power supply. I assume its a single lamp head? If so it should provide 24VDC at 250W. Check the ceramic lamp holder first as this is quite a common problem. I don't know where you are but De vere parts come up on the auction site occasionally.

5. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee, welcome to APUG.

Which head do you have on the 504. And, as you are talking about a convertor, do you have the transtab for your enlarger (large black cube, 2 switches on the front). I take it the head uses 24V/250W ELC type lamps, if so I would recommend getting the GEC manufactured lamps, I have tried a number of other manufactured lamps and had poor results with all of them (though never a lamp shattering!), but excellent results with the GEC ones.

6. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lee, you might just have had a bad bulb

They don't normally go down there - its usually the filament goes with a pop - just like a conventional bulb

I realise these things are not cheap but put another one in and give it a go - being careful not to wrist or strain the bulb body

As usual with Halogen bulbs – don’t touch the glass with you skin – the acid in sweat weakens the glass. A paper tissue will suffice.

Martin