Deciding what to sell....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ChristopherCoy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hard times have hit, and although I know I'll be out of them in a few months, I feel the pressure to offload some gear - but I sure don't wanna!

On one hand I could try and sell the small 35mm Nikon FM setup that I have created, but what if I want to shoot 35mm in the future? I've had my Hassie for over 3 months now, and I've been using it regularly, but will I continue to use it enough to justify keeping it? I could sell two of the three Polaroid Land Cameras that I've acquired, but I like each of them equally for different reasons? Of course I could sell all of these items and feed myself the excuse that I'll be able to buy another one down the road, but will I really? What if all I can find next time is stuff that is 'more used' than what I have now?

I honestly wish I could just offload all my digital gear, because that hasn't seen the light of day in months now, but inevitably I'll be asked to second shoot a wedding or something in the coming weeks.

How do you decide what to sell, when to sell, and if you're even going to sell??

I think I'm becoming a film hoarder..... :cool:

2. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been having similar thoughts recently, money issues as well. Have you thought about 'downgrading' the blad? Possibly pick up a bronica 6x6, mamiya 645 or something else and have money to spare?

3. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yes, but my excuse for NOT doing so is that I have a Hassie now... what are the chances I'll EVER own one again?

4. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Instead of selling any gear, how about looking around for that second shooter gig? With graduation around the corner, maybe some senior portraits? Or teach a workshop?

5. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would second that, if you are not using the gear then sell it, if you are using it - that that same gear is going to make you some money soon enough. My experience has been that after selling my Hassy setup I would find it
    hard to buy it in similar condition for the price it sold.

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do the PICTURES need the gear?

Or do YOU need it?

Ask yourself which is most important, and I'm sure you'll come up with an answer.

7. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Currently we are looking at relocating, so for the next few months my week to week schedule is up in the air as I may have to drop everything and drive to the new city for subsequent interviewing or testing at a moments notice. Combine that with a college schedule, and a remaining full time job, and I'm finding it difficult to schedule any shooting gigs. Meanwhile, the studio rent is still due... Once wedding season kicks back up in a month or two I'll have a bit of income from the editing that I do, and the second shooting that I do for the two photographers that I work with.

8. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

A+

I’ve recently been getting rid of all the equipment that is not my main gear.

9. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If someone told me I could only have and use one camera system for my work, I would have no problem with that......I find I run into problems when I have too much gear. I wanted to stock up on film, paper and chemistry, so I sold the most overpriced and honestly, over rated gear I had, Leica.

No regrets...

10. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I'm quite certain that *I* need the gear more than the pictures do! :laugh:

But still, I can't help but get attached to some of these old pieces... I mean after all, they aren't making any more of them.

11. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I'm well aware! :laugh:

You're leftovers are whats causing me the trauma!

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could sell some of your gear, the problem is that I don' t think that you won' t get much for it .

Jeff

13. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have problem deciding, you can give them all to me I will provide foster care, I will feed them and exercise them. And we can discuss visitation. Problem Solved! :wink:

14. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Nice! But who gets them on holidays? :laugh:

15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sell off everything but the hassie.

if you need another 35mm rig, i am sure
    you can find it ... polaroid film / fuji film is expensive
    and while it is fun ... if i was running out of $$$ they'd be
    the first things i'd sell ....

imnot sure what polaroid stuff you have, but look into what models they are
    and if they are the ones that can be modified with a graflock /razzle back to take
    standard 4x5 sheet film ... it might help you acquire more $$$ for your gear !

good luck selling, i know i always get sellers remorse when i off-load ...

16. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the exception of the Hassie, most of my gear I've been able to obtain well under going prices.

My Nikon FM is very minty, and works like a dream, and I think I found it on ebay for $30 which included shipping. I now have a motor drive for it, a 50mm 1.8 E, and a 28mm 2.8 E, all of which I got additional good deals on. I think the motor drive was like $10, the 50mm might have been $20, and the 28mm was closer to $50

My Polaroid land cameras were all well under going prices. I paid $10 for the 104, and $12 for the 420, and $20 for the 250. I rewired the 104 and 420 and have tested them with multiple packs, so I'm sure I could get at least double what I paid for them. I doubt I'd get rid of the 250 under any circumstances.

I thought about selling the Hassie and sticking with a Bronica 6x6 something or nother, but like I said, I may never have the chance to own one again...

But on the bright side, I did just book a job for this week!

17. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Every time I sell gear--or contemplate it--I feel like I am closing the door on a future opportunity to make photographs with that particular camera in its own particular way. But lately I have been driven mad by the schizophrenia induced by trying to decide which camera is right for which subject. I actually yearn for the days when I had only one camera and two lenses. So, I have been selling off some gear and while it makes me a bit anxious to do so I think it is better for me and my photography.

Jonathan

18. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same problem. Besides lots of stuff I own doesn't worth a whole lot. I have no problem giving one away though, like for someone who wants to start photography. I am weird. However, I sold my holga on craigslist just now, waiting for the guy to come pick it up. Well but i guess that's a special case... I don't need the camera to ruin the photos for me, I am perfectly capable to do so myself. But, after I made the deal, now i am starting to think, oh what could I do more with the holga......

19. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I once sold everything I had in my studio to feed my family... I hatged doing it but if that is what you need to do, dig deep n rethink your priorities.

Now 40+ years later I'm doing very well for myself n can buy everything over again but.... I'm still telling people "I had one of those, sold it cheap in the late 70s." I get the rollie eyes n yeah yeah yeah we heard that one. Wish I hung onto my Leicas!

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said.

Dump what you do not need.

21. Rep4621

Rep4621 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In my case I decided to sell the equipment I don´t use. That included a hasselblad and several Leica lenses. Try and figure out what equipment is essential and what you can do without. You´ll figure it out.

22. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm currently in the same process, recentering myself on the gear I really NEED and not on the gear I love/like. This thread helped me deciding, and although it grieves me to let it go, the Hassy if going so that it does not compete with the Rolleiflex, which is the camera I'm using for my most successful work.

23. derwent

derwent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm going through a painful process of deciding what to get rid of too....
    I've spent the last three years buying loads of old film gear on eBay and other places but having 30+ cameras and only using a few regularly tells me I should cut back, and I hardly ever use my 35mm gear since I got a Rollei and I'm hankering for a 645 with autofocus that could replace 35mm for almost everything I still use it for...maybe if I lose most of my gear I can get a Pentax or maybe squeeze a mamiya...
    I'm not selling gear for the hell of it though...only to get something better!

24. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear of your situation.

You make 4 piles:
    1 - the gear that you can reasonably expect to need to earn income in the foreseeable future, excluding pieces that are used infrequently and can be rented
    2 - the gear that truly is irreplaceable due to scarcity or sentimental value
    3 - the gear that has such low market value that selling it won't provide any real benefit
    4 - all the rest (if this pile isn't at least as large as the other 3 combined, go through piles 1-3 again!)

Sell pile #4. Also, keep in mind that your digital gear declines in value every day. Also, in most metro areas, you can rent that gear if needed. So be realistic about whether it will be used in the foreseeable future.

Start selling stuff soon; the more time you have the more you'll be able to get.