Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by LeahMorgan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. LeahMorgan

LeahMorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Mamiya RB67 in excellent + condition and a Hasselblad 500 cm in good condition (and am working to fix light leaks in the backs). I was thinking of selling them both to get a Pentax 67 II. I find the RB67 to be a wonderful camera, but too bulky for what I want to do (mostly landscape and street pohotography). The Hasselblad, I like, but haven't used that much.

Is this crazy talk? Does anyone have the Pentax 67 II? Do you like it? How does it compare to the Mamiya RB67 and Hasselblad 500cm?

2. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm inclined to say yes. The Pentax is not exactly small.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All those cameras you mention are great. The RB67 is a little on the heavy side, but you can switch backs.

Jeff

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leah, I think if portability is the issue, you might consider a mamiya 6/6mf or 7/7ii. Yes the p67 is a very fine camera and less bulky too. But it is not without issues, so consider also the p645n and the other competing 645s. For street I think you will want fast lenses, f/2.8 or so, and fairly compact bodies. For that I think you should consider the 645 systems, in particular the p645nii and the mamiya 645 pro. But for travel and landscape and documentary, the mamiya RFs are true weapons.... tripod or no tripod.

As for me, I have just about everything and I relish the difference of all these different cameras. They are so different as to defy comparison. I use the RFs for what I described above, the 645s for anything that might involve low light and people and needs some haste. But I am always happy to deploy the rb or rz when possible, the end result is always so wonderful with those. But the main technical problem I have with the rb and rz for shooting candid/street stuff is the slow top shutter speed. Those cameras really want to be on tripods or monopods.

What I am saying is don't try to solve everything with one body!

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    keep the 'blad:wink:

much easier to handhold IMO.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've held a Pentax 67 at a local used camera store once. It's bulky and heavy. Before you commit to the exchange, I encourage you to find a way to hold it yourself.... Personally, it was too much. I couldn't picture carrying the body, few lenses, and other stuff.

7. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I heard some problems from people about holding the P67 when taking vertical photos. Seems to be a lot of weight. Neither your Hasselblad or RB67 need to do this. If I were you I would keep them.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in the group that thinks the Mamiya 7/7ll would be a better choice for you. Can't beat the lenses in spite of what QG will say about Hasselblad :wink:.

The Pentax is also a heavy camera with heavy lenses and a 1/30 sync speed, if you never intend to use flash, no problem.
    If you have small hands, the Hasselblad or RB will be better because of the way they're held, at waist level & braced against your body.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll tell you what i will say about the OP's question: yes, it certainly is crazy talk. :wink:

You now have a choice between two wonderfull cameras, each having its own strong point(s).
    And you are going to give that away for a lumpy, still unwieldy, somewhat restricted third camera?

Don't! Do keep what you have.

10. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also consider a TLR. They have every advantage of a rangefinder and are quite compact as well. Pentax 67 couldn't be further away from what you want. Loud as all hell.

11. russelri

russelri Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Hasselblad 500CM is an excellent camera. British Photographer Charlie Waite uses a Blad and he has proved you can shoot beautiful landscapes in square format. I'm not entirely sure how efficient it would be hand holding a Blad for Street Photography. Although, it is probably do-able.

For Street Photography I mainly use a 35mm rangefinder as it's lightweight and quicker to use.

So for my 2 cents worth!!!

Keep the Blad for Landscapes and get a 35mm rangefinder for Street Photography.

12. LeahMorgan

LeahMorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually have a TLR already, a Yashicamat 124 G. It was my first medium format camera, and probably still my favorite. I heard such great things about the hasselblad, which is why I bought it. Sometimes I think I should have just upgraded to a Rollei with better glass, since the yashica has been such a good fit for me. *shrug*

13. LeahMorgan

LeahMorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am leaning toward keeping what I have, atleast for a few months and seeing if time and practice is what I need over a different camera. I would love to someday have a Mamiya 7ii, but it is not in the budget right now...even if i sold both cameras and all the lenses!

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said.

Steve

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said.

Steve

16. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mamiya 7

Definitely go with a mamiya 7. It's far and away the best street/landscape 6x7 camera going, and in general about the best 6x7 camera overall. The only thing it's really lacking is macro/tight portrait capability, and faster-than-f/4 lenses. If you can live w/o those things, it doesn't get any better. I use an Rz67 for tight portraits, f/2.8 situations, macros, and long-length shots (180-360mm). For everything else, I use the mamiya 7.

-Ed