Deckle edge print trimmer question.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Samuel Hotton, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Samuel Hotton

Samuel Hotton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone know where a Deckle edge print trimmer (Guillotine) may be purchased please. I do not need to trim prints larger than 4"x6". I have seen the scissors in craft shops, but the deckle is too coarse.
    With thanks,
    Sam H.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it have to be guillotine rather than rotary? I've found it reasonably easy to find deckle blades for rotary cutters.

-NT

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It took me quite awhile to find a vintage one but they do popup on the big auction site from time to time. Mine did not have a brand name on it but was marked made in Germany. The blades on these things are quite a manufacturing feat. I doubt you can sharpen one after heavy use as the blades on both sides are perfectly matched in the deckled pattern. Rotary is the most available option if you need it now.

6. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not all the scrapbooking ones are very coarse. There's also a handheld rotary cutter (from Fiskars) that has several blades available and one is deckle (I find it hard to go straight with it, though). Check different scrapbooking stores as well as Joanns, Michaels, ACMoore, and Hobby Lobby - they don't all carry the same stuff.

7. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I picked up one of the guillotine-type German deckle edge cutters a while back. It was a bit dull, but I found I was able to sharpen it because the blade serrations curve in an arc.

It takes me back in time but also makes me crave single weight paper and a ferrotype drum...

8. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good news to hear! The serrated contact points looked so closely matched I thought any attempt at sharpening when dull would make too wide of a gap between to two halves and cause ripping of the paper.