Dedicated FILM lunatic artist,

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by orlovphoto, Dec 19, 2011.

1. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    22 of my 34 years I have been a darkroom hermit. Now it's time to come out of the shell and expose myself to the light. (I'm not a flasher.... natural light only)

This is a project I'm launching. Please take a look and let me know what you think:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/351976604/the-photo-palace-bus

Here you can see some of my work and read a little of my ramblings about it: http://orlovphoto.com

I love light - it briefly reflects from all in its path and it is from those reflections that we must pluck a perfect image.
    I am human - as is for all humans my fleeting nature is evident, therefore I chose to focus my lens on humanity. It's nature is fleeting like that of the light itself.
    I accept art as a virtue - the ability to see beauty is crucial if balance is to be achieved within an individual, hence I dedicate my life to education on that subject.

I'll try to be as active of a contributor to APUG as I can be, for now, I am really worried about the funding for the project so I am going to spend a lot of time praying to St. Weegee and St. Penn along with St. Brady and St. Talbot - with their help this darkroom can be as monumental as it deserves to be.

Anton.

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anton - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Anton!

4. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Anton !

Ron

5. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like a cool project but I have one question:

And if the funds are not raised by 1 Feb at 7:20pm, then what?

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Anton , I hope you enjoy being here!

Jeff

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the way Kickstarter works. They set a deadline and it's up to the candidate to beat the bushes to find enough backers by then. I really recommend this project to everyone on APUG. Anton is doing something to promote what we love.

A word of caution to Anton... I was watching one project last year, and due to a glitch in the date or the time zone, the project closed a day earlier than the candidate expected.

8. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds neat, but again, what if the candidate doesn't meet the deadline?

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

10. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If he doesn't meet his target, then all is cancelled, including the pledges. As I understand it, your pledges are only used if the project meets its target.

11. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yep.... If we don't meet the funding goal we get NOTHING at all - nobody's Amazon account gets charged and we start all over. THat is why I am so desperately pleading for not only personal sacrifice in terms of possible donations, but also to help spread the word by any means (this and other forums, facebook, personal blogs, etc.). Every bit helps and I really do think that this project is cool enough for the word to reach enough people and there to be enough support to make it happen.

Frankly, if it doesn't go through it's gonna suck, but we'll do it. I have way too much as far as personal energy invested in it and I have to see it through. If it means selling my cameras so be it. I really don't want to do that though.... Plus, in all fairness us asking for $16.000 is us asking for 1/3 of what it's really going to cost, but we're willing to fund the rest somehow... At this point I can max out my savings by buying the following: water tanks,pump and heater, table top, batteries and electrical junk. THis is not including any of the connectors between all of the above, the labour, the VWs busses and their interiors, wood, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for welcoming me here folks. I do love film and hope that this project will expose more people to it's wonderful possibilities.

... all fingers crossed - we need a minor miracle....

12. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A cracker of an introduction and very interesting project too, bear hugs from Australia.
    It's a brilliant idea, if a little offbeat — and mighty ambitious. But we all thrive on ambition and art. Many people out there might well wonder what a darkroom is. What better explanation than a canary-yellow converted schoolbus with a walkthrough?

But... you put a lot of faith in Saints. I believe in faeries to deliver, but never saints...

13. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a neat concept! Why didn't someone think of that sooner?

I'll see what I can scrape up after the holidays :smile:

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If so, can I have the bus?!!!

Steve.

15. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A pitch is a pitch.

16. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks All!

I'll try to be more active virtually, but for now I got a lot of stuff to take care of before I get out of San Diego and so I couldn't check in on here...

Yes! IF we DON'T reach the goal We Get $0.00! Nobody's accounts is charged and the money never goes through - it's a bit scary. Building this thing going to be hard if we DO get the funding - WITHOUT the funding it's going to be A LOT harder...

Thanks for the warning Toffle, I'll see what happens - at this point I'm doing my best reaching out and beyond that it's out of my hands.

P.S. Tried printing on some old Agfa 118 from the 50s or 60s - it's been stored next to a hot wall so about 3-4in of it on the short side are ruined, but the rest of it is good and it's 16x20 so I can definitely print lith 15x15in from my Rolleis :smile: I love vintage paper...

17. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    When you hear "concept"' run like the wind....