Defective ORT

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dr5chrome, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    FYI - a recent lot of defective EFKE/adox-ORT-25 4x5 came into the shop last week.
    http://www.dr5.com/graphics/damag-ortmed.jpg

We have not seen this condition in some time. It was present in all forms of processing, and severe.
    If you recently bought this film, I would test it before using it.

regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Are you referring to Rollie ortho 25 or Ilford ortho 25?

3. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think there's Ilford ort 25, just 80. The 25s are Rollei and I think Adox brands (I don't even know who makes what anymore when it comes to all the rehashed branding). There are a few different ort 25s under the Rollei brand.

Sadly I have to say this wouldn't surprise me based on some of my experiences with non-Ilford/Kodak/Fuji products. But I'm curious to know precisely which film as I have occasionally used Rollei ATO (ort) 2.1 for masking and just received an order of ATO and and ort 25 for some tests I had planned.

Were these rolls or sheets?

Thanks
    Michael

4. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry folks.. post edit. EFKE/adox-ORT25 4x5
    Currently I was unable to obtain the lot#. the client said he recently bought it, but I will post it when I have it. Many sheets were in this condition.
    'Bob' the Rollei-ORT comes from the EFKE plant, it's the same film.

regards

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  5. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be interesting to know if these defects only show when Efke 25 Ort is developed as positives (DR5) or if they also show after normal development.
    Dr5chrome thank you for the information I hope the problem will be solved soon (Efke side) as I use a lot of Efke and love the 60's look I get from their films.

Dominik

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If these show up as black spots on negatives or white on positives, I might suspect pepper grain, but they appear to regular. Pepper grain usually gives a less than regular outline due to the crystals aggregating nonuniformly. It looks more like some kind of organic solvent got into the coating melt, or one of the ingredients was unevenly distributed.

What a shame. Hope it is fixed soon.

PE

7. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lomo Society can sell it as "Art Film"

8. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If this is an emulsion issue would I too harsh to surmise that the batch would never have made it to coating at Kodak, Ilford or Fuji but if it somehow did, QC would have picked it up before distribution? I expect that the same process of rejection would have occured at Agfa and indeed at the original Adox factory when they were operational. Just saying, but the principle of caveat emptor needs to be applied here. OzJohn

9. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    BAtch number please? That would help :wink:

11. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well I just made a test with Rollei ORTHO 25, new batch (emulsion 111020) and there is NO PROBLEM.

12. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aurelien merci pour l'information. Dr5chrome thank you again for the information, this really looks bad and I have to say I've never had this type of problem with Efke Film it seems that the QC from eastern europeans film is going down and I am wondering why.

Dominik

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I just finished 2 rolls of Rollie ortho 25 20inch by 100ft with no problem , is it possible it is a storage/handling problem after production, Xray ??

14. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This does not appear to be a storage problem. It is either a coating problem or an emulsion problem.

Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, and Ilford all have tests to catch this with almost 100% accuracy. That is one reason the products are more expensive from these companies. The testing of 100% of every product at every stage of manufacturing is not cheap!

PE

15. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Will have to double confirm - this damage lot# 101008 exp.2012/12 'not confirmed'

We used to keep suppliers and the film companies advised of film issues, and never usually by a public forum. It was never appreciated, so we stopped. It's better we just inform clients and the end-user. We see ALL film-types come in, but we are still a small lab. The chances we would get the 1 or 2 bad box of film is slim.

regards

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011