Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the discontinuation of the 1.35V mercury cell batteries? No one has ever been able to give me a definitive answer. The general reply to asking is mercury is poisonous. Agreed, mercury is poisonous but there again so is Lithium, so is lead, which are both used in currently available batteries. They ban mercury in thermometers too (lucky I still have a couple). Then they go and try to force us to use low power consumption light bulbs which are full of mercury. OK not in it's normal liquid metal form but as Mercury oxide and probably just as dangerous. Then again fillings in teeth are still in the main comprised of a form of mercury. It just doesn't make sense to me. Is it financial I wonder? But there would not be a total ban if it were just financial - would there?