Dektol for film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ChristopherCoy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm assume the answer is no, but I wanted to check.

I picked up two rolls of Ilford film today, along with a canister, reels, photo flo, fixer, and developer. Except the developer is Dektol and not D76.

Can Dektol be used with film, or do I need to go back to the camera store?

This roll is totally a test roll to check the light seals on my FM body, and I took 36 frames of my dogs... I'm not concerned with grain or anything else, I just want to develop the roll.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Dektol has been used for years with film. You get rather coarse grain and slightly higher contrast but here is what used to be used with it: 1:3 3 mins. 1:7 7 mins. Easy to remember and it works for most films.

PE

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeap works fine in a pinch. old browned dektol works even better!

4. Brett_Jurgens

Brett_Jurgens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just at a friend's house and saw a print from a negative developed in dektol. It indeed had coarser grain and higher contrast, but it had a nice look and feel to it.

5. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SahWEET! Thanks y'all!

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ansco/agfa 125 is almost the same as dektol
    they would describe the negatives as "crisp"

have fun!
    john

7. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I mix the dektol at 1:7, would I mix the fixer the same way?

I promise I'll start researching more in depth after this roll, I'm just so excited I'm about to bust! I can't wait patiently enough for it to get dark outside so I can find the darkest room in the house, seal it off, and get started!

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use the dilution recommended for film on the fixer package.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mix the Dektol to stock dilution! then dilute to desired level! I am assuming you have the powder kodak fixer, then mix it according to the package directions of 3L of water, and then top off til 3.8L/1 gallon. check your temps before mixing!

If using dilute dektol toss after development, use fixer full strength, do not discard, it can be reused again until exhaustion (hypo check).

10. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dectol and film

There was a paper published in the Journal of Biological Photography some 20-odd years ago where the author made some film/developer comparisons.

Dektol at about 1:29 for around 20 minutes @20° C gave surprisingly good results with regards to tonal range and fine grain..... even when compared to a couple of 'standard' film developers.

Ken

12. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, D-72 (Dektol) was once said to be a universal developer for films and papers. For large format it was typically diluted up to 1+7 and for papers 1+2. As I stated in another thread on Ilford Universal PQ these developers become acutance developers at higher dilutions 1+19 or 1+29. There is some grain but it is tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  13. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people also use various dilutions of Dektol (as dilute as 1:40) as a convenient film developer when making masks.

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have to be careful here as Agfa Ansco (GAF) 125 is quite different to Agfa 125 which is a Rapid document paper developer.

Ian

17. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok well... I got it done. But I jacked up the ratios some kind of stupid. Please make sure you are not drinking any liquids, because I am not responsible for any shorted out keyboards after you read the following.

Earlier in this thread I read Dektol 1:7 for 7 minutes. So thats what I did. I put one cup of dektol powder in a jug, and mixed it with 7 cups of water. I should have known something was wrong when there were still tiny floating pieces of undissolved powder.

And then this morning I started looking at the dried negatives thinking they were awfully black. And then it hit me. I needed to dissolve the powder in a gallon of water, and then mix a cup of THAT with 7 cups of water.

Oh well! I didn't loose anything, but I sure as hell enjoyed the smell of the fixer last night. Brought back so many memories from high school, I nearly got teary eyed.

I stopped at the camera store this morning and bought some D-76, and some more Kodak Rapid Fixer. I'll pay more attention tonight and mix them properly.

For now I'm going to go start reading up on the chemistry part.

18. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Dektol (1 part dektol, 3 parts water) for film and it works fine for when I am going for that old heavy film grain type look. I believe you can find this on the "massive development chart" along with times for some films.

19. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ironically D72 started life as a film developer, it was designed as a High contrast developer for rapid dish processing of Press, Commercial and Industrial plates and films. Only later was it sold as a Universal paper developer.

Ian

20. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, yeah, that won't work, your almost right, the whole bag goes into 3 quarts of water, then dissolve, then top off to one gallon. I always end up with a few "floaties" in my Dsektol that refuse to dissolve.

21. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yeah. I just flat wasn't paying attention last night. It took all I had to compose myself long enough to sit on the dark bathroom floor to load the film onto the reel. I truly cannot express how excited I was to be doing it.

Second roll tomorrow morning will be better.

22. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just remember, 3 quarts water, dissolve powder, top off to one gallon. Works for D-76, Fix, and whatever else you use like Stop Bath. Please also get some PhotoFlo and some sleep.

23. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks! LOL I got PhotoFlo yesterday as well.

24. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The following quote is very useful to remember when dealing with photography. "My dear Watson, assume nothing."

25. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi ian

i didn't know there was a difference between them
    the only one i have ever seen / read about ( never used ) was agfa/ansco/gaf 125
    http://simmonsphotos.com/Formulas/Paper/Agfa125.html

thnx again !
    john

26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Unfortunately the Agfa Ansco (GAF) developer nomenclature isn't the same as the main Agfa - Germany (and later Orwo) one I think only one (possibly two) dev is the same number for number. Other formulae are vere similar except the Anhydrous/monohydrate conversions's been done incorrectly for the Sulphite:D

So when the site you link to says Agfa/Ansco that seems to indicate Agfa and Ansco as seperate companies. Antony and Scoville (Ansco) did become Agfa Ansco whioch is when the formulae were published.

Unfortunately Agfa Ansco call the formula Agfa 125 and it's a very different developer to Agfa (Germany) 125 :D

Can be confusing as we don't know whatpeople are referring to at times :smile:

Ian