Dektol & plastic ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Calamity Jane, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Has anyone had a problem with Dektol eating away a plastic storage jug?

I had a big jug of Dektol under the bench that I should have discarded months ago. Today I discovered the jug was leaking and the Dektol had eaten into the tiles under it.

I never had trouble with Dektol in plastic before. Maybe the jug let go, but seeing the way Dektol ate into the tiles, I am wondering if it ate a hole in the jug.

2. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had some in a 2lt plastic bottle (was Apple juice I believe... labels were removed) for several years... and it was ok, the the Dektol just kept getting darker!

3. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never heard of Dektol reacting with plastic (though the accordion bottles are known to be excessively permeable for developer storage anyway). Much less have I heard of Dektol eating into flooring tiles! Are you sure that was Dektol and not a sodium hydroxide stock solution or similar?

Dektol has carbonate alkali, as I recall, so it's not alkaline enough to do much even in stock solution (or even if you mix your stock solution in a lot less water than the package calls for, as some folks do); I wouldn't expect it to attack even marble tile, much less plastic or rubber (and if you have something attacking ceramic tile, call a Hazmat team ASAP).

4. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Developers like D-76 and Dektol, are best kept in brimful brown glass bottles that are well stoppered. Used medicine bottles with child proof caps are ideal, so don`t discard them. Make sure the bottles are clearly labelled too.
    Plastic storage jugs? UGH!

5. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll second that. Be sure they have the Polycone or Polyseal
    Caps; the most sure way to seal. Tri Ess Sciences did sell
    those amber Boston Rounds and a nice selection of caps.
    Alas they have gone out of business. Chalk one up for
    free lunch crowd. Dan

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the jug thats perished.

Some plastics perish naturally others are designed to be biodegradeable, highly unlikely to have been the Dektol

Ian

7. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some plastics display surface tension stress when in contact with certain tensoactive ingredients, alcohols and other chemicals. This surface interaction with these chemicals leads to premature ageing of the polymer and surface cracks. As these cracks progress, the bottles start to leak. Depending on the plastic, different products may cause this undesirable effect. It usually shows up when someone pours something into a container which the container´s manufacturer never considered when testing the bottle (like Dektol into an apple juice bottle).
    I work with the plastics industry. I always use brown glass bottles.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes you're possibly right but Dektol will only aggrevate this in a plastic not designed for a reasonable life span and not one made for storing photographic chemicals, particularly as chemicals are usually stored in low light lvels.

I have seen plenty of plastic measuring jugs fail, I'm still using plastic bottles Ilford, May & Baker, Johnsons etc some of which must be 30+ years old, I've never had one fail.

More importantly it's the type of plastic used, and how it's stored.

Ian

9. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, I've got a couple of relevant bookmarks. First, some information on plastics for storing developers. I'm not really qualified to offer an opinion on this information, but it seemed credible when I read it. Second, Specialty Bottle, a supplier of bottles. I've never actually ordered from them, but they seemed to have a good selection.

FWIW, I've been using ~1l glass IBC root beer bottles whenever I make more than 1l of solution and then splitting that into smaller glass bottles whenever I open one of them.

10. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,

You made a good point. I spoke with some plastic suppliers and all agreed that 30 years ago, since resins were so much cheaper, manufacturers used much better materials and, also used additives to improve the quality of their bottles. Contemporary manufacturers unfortunately don´t adhere to that business philosophy anymore.

11. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

I bought from Specialty Bottle. Get 2 caps per bottle as the caps break on occasion. The bottles are more durable. Their caps as all others are plastic, but they are cheap. As some else said, get the cone type seal caps and clean the INSIDE lip before tightening.

12. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it was a milk jug, yes I had that happen to me about 8 years ago. I switched to 1 gal Gatorade & apple juce heavy plastic jugs with no problems

I also use Delta 1 gal brown plastic jugs that work well.

Tony

13. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It was an orange juice jug. It must have "bio-degraded" sitting under the counter. Never had that happen before.

So many chemicals now days are readily available in gallon (4L) quantities and cheap that I know they will expire long before I use them up so I save my good (and smaller) containers for the expensive or critical chemicals. The volumous and inexpensive chemicals are relegated to whatever comes out of the kitchen destined for the recycle bin.

I'm still surprised it reacted with the floor tile!

14. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I said that. Glass Boston Rounds, clear or amber, can
    be found on eBay. Boston Rounds have been the standard
    container of photographic chemistry for generations. They
    are N.O.T expensive. They are the conservative choice.

Those cork within a screw-cap go by the brand
    names Polyseal and Polycone. Do a Google search; the
    bottles will follow the caps. I'm still lamenting the loss of
    Tri Ess Sciences, they had such a nice selection and
    of caps as well. Dan