Delta 100 in DD-X gives flat results

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jrong, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jrong

jrong Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not had much success developing Delta 100 in Ilfotec DD-X. When scenes are low-contrast or taken on dull days, the tonality is harsh and ugly, and the results are very flat. It is much better only on sunny days with high contrast scenes. I am more accustomed to the rich dark tones of Fuji Acros and Rodinal.

Is there a better developer to use with Delta 100? I have DD-X, Rodinal, Perceptol and HC-110 in my cupboard right now.

Suggestions welcome!
    Jin

2. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My vote is Rodinal (as expected and you already have it) and I've also tried it in ID-11 and D-76 which also look quite good. I agree DD-X isn't the best soup for it and I've tried it in those four I've mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2004
  3. hansbeckert

hansbeckert Inactive

I strongly recommend Paterson FX-39.

4. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rodinal from me, too. HC-110 is also good for Delta 100. But my favourite is Rodinal 1+50 and Delta 100 rated at ISO 80, but developed as if it was exposed @ ISO 100.

5. sparx

sparx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used Ilfosol and ID-11 and have been happy with the results with Ilfosol being slightly less grainy.

6. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only used ID-11 recently but that's because it's all that is available locally for me. It gives me negs with both D-400 and D-100 that I'm really happy with.
    However, were Rodinal available locally, I would certainly give it a whirl just to see what I thought.
    I just wish that I had a choice!!!

7. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't understand, why would anyone limit themselves to what is available locally? Photos supplies are much cheaper via the web- and it's the way to support vendors who are keeping real photography alive.

Matt

8. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt it's always good to support the local shops otherwise we lose them, also not everyone has plastic cards for any number of reasons :smile:

9. hansbeckert

hansbeckert Inactive

Most shops will special order for you. Just ask!