Delta 100 - Rodinal or HC-110?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by oriecat, Mar 14, 2005.

1. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yesterday I shot my first roll of Delta 100. I have Rodinal and HC-110 developers, which would you recommend? Most shots are of my nephews, mostly outdoors in the sun or shade.

2. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am in the same boat, but I think I'm going to try Xtol first. I have both HC110 and Rodinal but from what I read and the result of others, it appears Xtol might be my best bet. After that I will try PrypCat HD. The problem with using HC110 and Rodinal from what I understand is that it's really hard to control the highlights. I could be wrong, I often am.

Good luck.

3. dlin

dlin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Delta 100 in XTOL 1:1 with 120 film and it produces pleasing results (to my eye). Processing is in small tanks with slightly reduced agitation frequency (10 sec every three minutes) and a corresponding increase in total development time (12-14 minutes at 68F). Grain with this combination is very fine and shadow detail, assuming adequate exposure, is well maintained. Hope this helps,
    Daniel

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cant go worng with any of those.

Try one, then shoot another roll try the other and decide

5. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Delta 100 and Rodinal as my main combo when shooting portraits, and will recommend it ANYTIME! I shoot it @100 and develop for 13-15 minutes in Rodinal 1+50 (68 f). The longer you develop the more contrast you get. Go for 14 minutes and you are pretty sure you can print it nicely.
    HC-110 will do good, too. But you have got to try Delta 100/Rodinal 1+50!

Greetings Morten

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
  6. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If I had to pick 1 of the 2 it would be rodinal. But XTOL is my flavor for Delta 100. Have tested all 3 and XTOL does great for the subtle value changes and polished grain.

7. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Doc! I will check that out. :smile:

9. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Mindy!
    If you use the Rodinal, remember that "agitation" is an overstatement....more like "gentle swirling" is the key. I like using Rodinal...but I'm an acolyte :wink:

10. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For my last roll of Delta 100 I used HC-110 diluted 1+49 from syrup, 5.75 min at 23C. Came out great.

11. Andrew

Andrew Member

Hullo Oriecat,
    The wonderful thing about traditional B&W photography is the variety of opinions and working methods it encourages.
    I read above that one contributor is very happy with Delta 100 in Rodinal and that is all part of the rich fabric of life.
    However my tests show that Delta 100 in Rodinal produces a J shaped exposure-density curve leading to depressed mid tones and over dense and contrasty highlights.
    For reliable results in a wide range of conditions, true speed 100, fine grain, excellent sharpness and a friendly S shaped exposure-density curve, try Xtol 1+1, 11 minutes at 20 degrees C.
    Happy photography
    AndrewS