Delta 3200 in Delivery Suite

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Kevin Caulfield, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife is due to give birth in three days. I'm planning on taking some pictures probably not during the birth itself but shortly afterwards. I'll probably be using my Hasselblad mainly with Delta 3200, and I'll be trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. I'll probably also bring my 35mm Olympus. I'm curious to hear of others' experiences and advice on photographing in delivery suites.

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great news Kevin!!! Let us all know how things turn out.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Robert. I will keep you posted.

4. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Been there, done that twice. I brought the Nikon, never took a picture. The experience of being a new dad, and helping with the birthing process was much more than enough to satisfy my life. The birthing room is one for pain, closeness, joy, appreciation, and most important, love. You will carry nothing more important away than those feelings shared with your wifey. Bring the camera, don't be suprised if you never use it. I have no regrets. And yes, she will say bad things to you, I guarantee it. :smile:

tim in san jose

5. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes, keep us informed and good luck!

My wife had two ceasers so from my experience, the operating room was pretty bright. We only took a P&S which with it's flash, accomplished the task... the nurse even managed to get me in the shot of me holding the newborn... she must have been a "photographer"! Both my sons were quite lazy upon being reefed out of their comfortable home and it took the pediatrician (spelling?) quite a bit to kick start them. Not a time I would have been fussing with f-stops anyway, then again it might have distracted me from what I could see happening, which might be routine for them but certainly wasn't for me!

The normal delivery suites and recovery rooms (suites depending on where you are going) however are pretty dim, however at that point you might be able to supplement room lighting by opening the curtains or bouncing a flash off the roof without getting into too much trouble with wife or staff. Bit of a case of suck it and see!

6. sterioma

sterioma Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kevin,

my daugther was born last February-27. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures in the delivery room (even without flash), so we waited for the baby to be returned to us after a quick check up. I have taken a few shots then in the hospital room with Delta 3200 developed in Microphen (stock) with a Nikon F100. You can see a sample shot here (scroll down to my post): http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13224&page=5&pp=10

Best luck to you and your wife and let us know :smile:

7. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Kevin and the best to you both :smile: I'd recommend you soup the Delta 3200 at twice the speed you shoot it, but others here may have other experiences :wink:

8. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tony is pointing out the true Rule OF Thumb when it comes to Delta 3200!

And btw CONGRATULATION WITH THE BABY TO COME

9. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't tkae pictures while my wife was giving birth, was too busy holding hr hand.
    I took pics of the babies after they were born with a PS and flash, and of mommy a few hour later.
    It is probably the most unflattering moment to take pics of your wife, as I learned after our 1st baby.

However, i took my Spotmatic with D3200 (as 1600) and took a lot of pics of the baby as she came back after clean-up. Very beautiful pictures. The film was developed in DDX

10. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello--and congratulations!

Our second was born 5 weeks ago. For the first one, things were rather tense, so a camera wasn't really on my mind (actually, due to family pressure, it was, but I vetoed the idea). My wife understood, but would have liked to see a picture of the little guy (9 1/2lbs!) being cleaned up.

So, for the second one, we brought in a small Kodak digital. The anasthesiologist (sp?) was a bit of a nut, and he took a picture of me and my wife--well, our heads at least. He says that people can tell that I was smiling under the mask, but I don't see it. I did get a picture of the baby as he was being cleaned up. Now, here came the tricky part. They then asked me to carry the baby to the nursery. Here I am in a bunny-suit (high tech gown), being told not to touch anything in the operating room and they want to hand me a baby--while I have a camera in my hand. Where do you put the camera? Pockets are covered up! I shoved the camera in my sock, took the baby and walked. The nurses stated that no one had ever done that before!

Now, for the rest of the visit, I had my Canonet with Delta3200 in it. Very grainy and contrasty, but I got shots that I couldn't have any other way. I really could have gotten away with ASA 1600, but I shot at 3200. It was a very high-tech hospital (wireless internet access--I checked APUG in our room!) Lots of silicon valley families with tons of digital cameras. I feel fairly sure that I was the only one with a canonet (and a Mockba).

Now, I will say that with my first, the canonet and the Tmax3200 I used worked great. My all-time favorite image was taken then. The quiet shutter and lack of flash (plus the fact that no one takes that thing seriously) means that I got shots of my wife and baby in the NICU where she didn't even know what I was doing. Not bad considering I was about 5 feet away (prefocus, compensate for exposure--the canonet only goes to ISO800, raise the camera and shoot--no one knew!).

I will say that I sent the film off to A&I both times. I have screwed up enough TMax3200 and high speed Fuji film to give up when it comes to important shots.

Now, what shots you take are up to you. I was told (needlessly) not to look over the curtain at the actual operation. So, no shots of the actual birth. Other people make different decisions.

One last comment--both times I took a still life of the items on our table. Nothing of value artistically, but the mundane items bring back memories.

Take Care!

Matt

p.s. when my father in law saw the recent set of proofs, he only had one comment: "They still make B&W film?"

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations!

Have to agree with Tim (k_jupiter). Both of my kids came into this world with a little too much drama. I brought a camera with me both times but didn't use it 'till a few hours after the fact. No regrets.

12. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your comments so far. I do realise that the whole process could be so overwhelming that not one shot gets taken in the delivery suite. I am sure there will be a lot taken over the subsequent few days. :smile:

13. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Indeed!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, still waiting, so no Delta 3200 has been used yet.... Six days overdue and counting and waiting and waiting.... :wink:

16. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oooo how are the nails? Best of luck! (though none required).

17. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The nails are still intact. Induction will occur on Saturday if nothing happens by then.
    Thanks.

18. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I'm really old. The nurses wouldn't let me near thr delivery room for any of my six children. The first was about a month overdue. My wife (of blessed memory) asked the family doctor what to do. He said to take castor oil. She did, with the usual result, but no delivery. The doctor said "No, I meant take the whole bottle." When the delivery finally happened, it took a long time. I waited dutifully in the hospital waiting room. I kept asking at the desk, and they kept saying everything was fine. I fell asleep to be awakened by our parish priest, who said "Where you been, you lazy bum. You had a son hours ago!" For the next 5 kids I waited at home, which is where the doctor called anyway. Needless to say, no delivery photos. This started in 1952 and ended with number 6 in 1960.

19. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A month overdue??? Hmm, I won't mention THAT one to my wife. Thankfully it looks like things have changed with paternal access to the birth process.

20. derevaun

derevaun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Times have indeed changed. I wasn't able to take pictures because the midwife made me help in the final pushes stage.

What everybody so far is hiding from you is that a seconds-old infant is not photogenic in any way. Even after she was toweled off and wrapped up, my daughter was, frankly, hideous. And, so beautiful that a picture couldn't come close to what I got to see with both eyes open and both hands free. A perfectly composed and shot portrait just wouldn't do the moment justice, and I can't imagine hanging a shot of my misshapen, terrified and incredibly slimy daughter on the wall.

But around the time that she was passed over to her mother, there were plenty opportunities to take pictures. It was very dark in the birthing room, so a fast film is definitely the way to go, because you might feel weird using a flash. My wife was glad I took pictures, because she was out of it at first and really got something from seeing the photos. There were some good shots to be had under the heat lamp when they cleaned her up. And no Delivery Suite album is complete without a few shots of the placenta :smile:

Best wishes!

21. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, he was born on Saturday afternoon, and I did take a few pics after the birth. Two with the obstetrician, and a few later. Delta 3200 was the way to go. I was getting about 1/30 s at f4.
    All are well. :smile:

22. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great news. Congrats Kevin :smile: !

All the best, john.

23. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations!

I guess that includes 'Dad' too!

24. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Kevin
    Any hints for future dad's ? :smile:
    Søren

25. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wonderful news Kevin. I'm glad that everything went well, and that you were able to get photos of such a special event.

26. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got six months to deceide on what film to bring :D

G