Delta 400 5x7 sheet film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came into a box of 5x7 Delta 400. Is this film similar to what's on 120 film base as far as developing it goes?
    It was practically free, and I needed something to break in my 'new' camera.
    - Thomas

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I'll just have to do the old-fashioned thing and try it for myself. As I understand it, this film isn't manufactured anymore in sheets and not for some time either.

- Thomas

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Delta 400 should be exactly the same emulsion on any base in any format. :smile:

4. George Hart

George Hart Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My recollection is that Ilford changed the formulation of Delta 400/400 Delta at one time during its marketing life, if only a little. Given that this emulsion has not been available in sheet film for some time, it may be that your 5x7 sheet film is the earlier formulation. The recommended dev times are not quite the same. You may be best contacting Simon Galley at Ilford for clarification as to which year/batch matches your film.

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ole and George. Those are helpful, yet a bit contradicting comments... :smile: I will have to test it I think. It's not that big of a deal. I will most likely be able to dial in my exposures after a couple of sheets anyway. Thanks for your help.

- Thomas

6. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My sheet film of choice :sad:

I think when they changed the emulsion they stopped producing sheet film.

I thought I was a professional pack rat but I can't find the pdf for the film. I used to develop it, in trays, for 8.5 minutes at 68 in HC110 dilution B. It's lovely in PMK.

7. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a box of 5x7 in the freezer to that i will be opening soon. I use Delta 400 in 35mm and develop in P-Cat MC 16.5 minutes at 20C and plan on using that as a starting point for the 5x7

jan