Demand for Pt/Pd workshops in London?

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Ian Leake, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm toying with the idea of hosting some Pt/Pd printing workshops for beginners in the later part of this year (or early 2008). But I'm not sure whether there's sufficient demand in the UK for such a thing. At the moment I'm thinking of a weekend, starting with negatives and paper coating on Saturday and printing on Sunday. I think participation would need to be limited to 2 or 3 people in order to have as much "hands on" time as possible. Materials would be included.

Is this something anyone would be interested in? If so could you let me know.

2. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would be interested; its not something I would try without going to a workshop I dont think.

3. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How many practitioners of the Pt/Pd tradition are there in the UK?

It may be that the potential market for such a workshop needs the stimulation of seeing more Pt/Pd work. More work on display translates into greater interest in the process which means more potential students for a workshop.

4. alexphoto

alexphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian
    I presume you already practice Pt/Pd. Which system do you use, where would it be held and what facilities would there be. Oh and how much?
    Alex

5. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don’t know how many, but I’m not aware of any other than myself. I would love there to be more, so that’s sort of where I’m coming from really. Pt/Pd has got a reputation of being difficult and costly which, I think, puts a lot of people off. And until you’ve seen real platinum prints you don’t know what you’re missing.

Sufficient people in Europe have contacted me about experimenting with pt/pd that workshops seem like they may be worth investigating. But I don’t want to do a whole lot of educational design and planning before I’ve got a better feel for the number of people who may be interested. Hence this post…

6. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, for several years now. When I started pt/pd printing I spent a lot of time and money going round in circles. I read everything, bought everything recommended by everyone, and experimented a whole lot. I wish I'd had a way of jump starting myself and getting to the point where I could make consistently satisfactory prints sooner.

I'm not sure it should matter terrifically to a beginner which system is used so long as it’s understandable and consistent. Experimenting with one system or another is more of an advanced topic in my opinion. (Though for the record I happen to use the B&S “A+B” kits with Potassium Oxalate.)

I expect I’d use my studio and darkroom in central London: partly because it’s easy to get to, and partly because I wouldn’t want to cart around chemicals, my UV light box, etc. I’m sure you understand that at the moment it’s too early to decide on specifics like dates and pricing - I’m at a very early stage of thinking right now.

All the best, Ian.

7. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Ian

I would definately be interested, my next process to try is platinum and I need some initial help to get started so the workshop sounds a great idea, also its on 45mins to get to London from me which is also a plus.

8. schambuk

schambuk Member

I live in Yorkshire but would certainly travel to attend a workshop. I have produced some Kallitype and Palladium prints but would value a workshop if only to act as a reference point. I hope you receive enough interest to launch this project.

Steve Chambers

9. SeamusARyan

SeamusARyan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  10. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian

I would also be very much interested and wouldn't hesitate to book a place on such a course.

I hope good things come from this thread.

Regards

Stoo

11. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,

I would also be very interested, & have been looking out for workshops in this, which don't seem to exist. Distance not a problem for me as I'm a Londoner.

Out of interest, do you use only LF negs contact-printed? I have enlarged MF negs that I have used for cyanotypes but am also interested in creating digital negs (hope I can say that here), though that might be something for another place/day...

12. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Cate,

Yes, I only use LF film at the moment. I dabbled with digi-negs but they never satisfied me. Isis claim to be able to make enlarged negs via a digi intermediary of some sort, but at £120 a neg they're a bit too steep for me.

I have tried making my own internegs but haven't made a satisfactory print yet. The process is very simple but I need to work out the right exposure/dev combinations for the various steps. Hopefully I'll have cracked this soon :smile:

All the best,

Ian

13. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian

I might be interested.

Out of interest, are you looking to run this yourself? Or are you looking at getting someone else in? If so, Who do you have in mind?
    Cost would be my main determination factor.

Cheers
    Phill

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Russ Young

Russ Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There must be some interest- Terry King in Richmond has been giving regular alternative process workshops in Richmond for over a decade. The one I attended in 1998 was full.

Russ

16. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in the Canary Islands but travel to London fairly frequently. Depending on the dates the workshop might be held I'd be interested too.

17. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been to the workshops run by Terry King. He also teaches at Inversnaid and might well have weekend workshops at his studio in Richmond.
    Worth contacting him via his website for information. When you decide on a possible way forward Ian, I would be interested to learn further details.

18. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement with this. There's one key question though, and that's around negatives. Would you rather bring your own (and trust that it/they work), or would you prefer to shoot something on Day One to print on Day Two (which would obviously limit the choice of subject)? Or maybe both?

19. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For me i would rather bring my own negs.

20. SeamusARyan

SeamusARyan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too would prefer to work on my own negs, rather than using up the time shooting something, I appreciate getting the neg right is a big part of the process but your not always going to have the perfect neg so knowing how to work around it would be a good exercise, in my opinion

would it be possible for you to email those of us interested just on the off chance we are not checking in with apug all the time (I know, how could that be possible, but it happens) so we don't miss out on anything important

enjoy and be well

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

21. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ian,

I'd be interested too. Again the dates are decisive, and I have no idea when I'll be able to attend (starting new job September 1st).

I'd prefer to bring my own negative(s), in any size from 6x4.5cm plates to 30x40cm (!).

22. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Own negs for me as well. I shoot 5x4 but would do some interneg work for the course.

Phill

23. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd rather bring my own negs as well.

24. UKJohn

UKJohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I'd definately be interested, but being a 'poor' student the cost might be prohibitive, with plenty of advanced warning I might be able to save some pennies.

John

25. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would be very interested depending on dates and cost. Not bothered about negs, might be nice to follow a complete process known to work rather than bring negs that may or may not be appropriate.

26. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OK, it looks like a preference for using people's own negs (which I quite understand). I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about this before making firm commitments. I'll reach out to everyone when I'm a bit more clear on this. Many thanks for your input everyone.